BER certs for rental houses? (1 Viewer)

Found out that if you weren't informed of the BER or the place you rent doesn't have one then your contract or lease is null and void! Which works both ways (your landlord could kick you out with no notice or you could leave with no notice).
Our house was rated quite low, maybe a D but the bills have been pretty low - it's mid terrace so I reckon both neighbours must be heating our house cos we hardly have the heating on in the winter (one storage heater on in the whole house and the open fire on cold evenings).

I've been looking around on Daft recently and half the places you see have no BER - Daft list the BER cert if the house has one which is handy. I think the law is that any house being sold/leased/rented at the moment has to have one, but in reality this isn't happening.

A good few houses that we looked at buying didn't have them, so I'd be surprised if many rentals bothered, whatever about the law. I would say the vast majority of houses in Ireland would be E-G (little/no insulation, older windows). A-B would be an extremely energy efficient house (very well insulated, new windows, some renewable energies involved).

There is pretty much no incentive for a landlord to upgrade a house to any kind of decent level - after all, it's the tenant that pays the energy bills. So unless you're renting a gaff off someone who used to live there and did it up to a good standard, forget about it. As has been mentioned, mid-terrace is the way to go. Mates are currently renting a detached house and €1500 worth of oil didn't even last them one heating season.

my house scored a G when i sold it. the BER chap wouldn't take into account the fact that i'd lined the walls with thermal wallboard, because i had no documentation to prove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back