Being stopped in London, Engerland. (1 Viewer)

Goff

Since 1999
Has anyone else been stopped by the Brit Police in London, Engerland over the past while?

There's been a lot of hullaballoo in the Media about it and some politicians are even encouraging photographers to go out with their tripods to make a point.

I was in London a while back and deliberately headed around the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye and waved me fucking enormous lens and camera about and no one came near me. But when I went to Canary Wharf and started taking a few pics, some BritPol tosser asked me what I was doing. After a brief conversation explaining that I was actually taking photographs, hence the camera (like the other five or six people doing the same thing that weren't questionned), he walked off shrugging his shoulders. He semed more interested in whether or not I was going to sell the pictures commercially than selling them to the 'Ra (In fairness, the 'Ra already have the place sussed, if anyone remembers the "message" they left a few years back).

The thing is, all the politicos are urging people to take photos, the police are apologising left, right and centre (more right, actually), yet it's still happening. Who's telling the police to do this? Red Ken, who started it all, by insinuating that every gobshite with a camera must be a terrorist (Oh, Ken, how the mighty have fallen....), is gone.

The thing is, if you were sneakily taking pics of anything (and I took pics of both 6 and 5's gaffs without hindrance), youwouldn't be using a tripod or an SLR. You'd more likely use a small compact with a 13x zoom, or even more likely, a handheld DV Cam with an even higher zoom.

Anyway, I'd be interested if anyone else has had similar experiences. I know the fuckers over here think it's their god-given right to ask you to delete pictures (that's another story), but they're largely just ignored (or in my case, laughed at, while asking what law they were trying to apply).

i do remember reading recently about a proposed ban on cameras in public places but cant be sure if it was London or somewhere else.....

retarded, all the same.

There's loads of talk about this on the flickr group discussions. I think it's Hardcore street photography I've looking at, always good for a laugh.

Ah, they won't ban them in public places. They'd have to change the law for that and it'd never be passed. Not yet, anyway.

But they're acting as if they have. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem outside the Metropolitan area.

You'd wonder what they're hiding in one of the most photographed places on the planet.

0226009254.jpg

necessary read

taking photos or video footage of battersea power station / millenium eye / pauls cathedral / houses parliamnt / tate modern are all illegal if youre going to use them commercially.

gaylords

And Trafalgar Square. Though the Eye is only if you take them on their concourse. Think the same applies to Battersea but I might be wrong.

Same with National Trust properties. If you take the picture from outside, you can do what you like. So long as you're not on their property. But inside and they automatically get 50% of the royalties and you're suppose to only sell it through them. We, on the other hand, while sometimes not allowing photos to be taken on Heritage sites, can and won't do fuck all about it, if you manage to snap one, if you sell it afterwards, as we have no such laws/rules. Which is good and proper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back