Beastie Boys vs. GOLDIEBLOX (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
OPEN LETTER FROM BEASTIE BOYS’ MIKE D & ADROCK TO GOLDIEBLOX

Like many of the millions of people who have seen your toy commercial “GoldieBlox, Rube Goldberg & the Beastie Boys,” we were very impressed by the creativity and the message behind your ad. We strongly support empowering young girls, breaking down gender stereotypes and igniting a passion for technology and engineering.

As creative as it is, make no mistake, your video is an advertisement that is designed to sell a product, and long ago, we made a conscious decision not to permit our music and/or name to be used in product ads. When we tried to simply ask how and why our song “Girls” had been used in your ad without our permission, YOU sued US.

OPEN LETTER FROM BEASTIE BOYS’ MIKE D & ADROCK TO GOLDIEBLOX « Nasty Little Man

this article explains nearly everything.

Goldieblox and the Three MCs - Waxy.org

Goldieblox used the composition to create a derivative work. Because it was unlicensed and created without permission, that new work may infringe the Beastie Boys' copyright. This lawsuit will determine whether it's infringement or fair use.

Was it you that argued the case here that it was advertising?

Solid work.

I think this counts as parody though. And I love that the Beastie Boys have to defend their most embarrassing song. While Ad Rock is married to Kathleen fucking eternacrush Hanna. They can go get fucked.

Yeah i did. i didn't really argue it too far though. its on one of the bored in work threads.

would like to see the beastie boys letter.

I honestly don't think they were that evolved at that point. It was Licensed To Ill era, right?
They were kids and not very political I would have thought - their willingness to fight for their right to party notwithstanding.
You're probably right it's probably my more ...ahem...mature ... (yeah I said that in reference to myself) reading of it.

Anyway as far as the Goldiebox VS the Beasties bout is concerned.

Goldiebox didn't do this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

flawless_victory-65136.gif

The toymaker initiated the legal action on Nov. 21 after representation for the Beastie Boys contacted GoldieBlox about possible copyright infringement, which the group later sued for.

GoldieBlox and the Beastie Boys exchanged relatively friendly letters in the following months, in which both groups expressed support for the goals of the other but made clear their litigious intentions.

Despite the mutual admiration, the Beastie Boys made it clear that they did not want their music used in marketing.

"As creative as it is, make no mistake, your video is an advertisement that is designed to sell a product, and long ago, we made a conscious decision not to permit our music and/or name to be used in product ads," the group said in a letter to GoldieBlox.

GoldieBlox also released a new version of the ad with a different soundtrack.

The settlement will include an apology from GoldieBlox, to be displayed on the company's website, as well as donation by GoldieBlox to charities selected by the Beastie Boys that encourage science, technology, engineering and mathematics education for girls.

Beastie Boys Settle Dispute With GoldieBlox Over 'Girls' Copyright

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back