Beards (1 Viewer)

A few months back, ahead of my brothers wedding, for the first time ever, I decided to put my beard in the hands of a professional. I'm not great at maintaining my beard, it's pretty "natural". I was mostly curious to see if there were techniques that I could use going forward. I went early in the morning to Sam's Barbers on Dame Lane. I had to wait for an appointment.

Seeing as this was my "pamper day" I treated myself to a sit down coffee and scone in the revamped Bewley's on Grafton St. Where I watched celebrity lawyer Gerald Kean have his full Irish. This cost a whopping €9! I can only imagine what Gerald's bill was. But he did get a free third coffee after a mix up with 2 of the waiters (good start to the day for Gerald!).

Sam's barbers is a top rate establishment, the service was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. That said, I didn't give them much to work with. My hair is short and my bread is long. While I got what I'd asked for, keep it natural, it was only slightly better than the hack job I give myself every couple of months. I did get a wash and blowdry which was an experience in itself. I've never had a man touch my beard in that way before and I did smell great when I left. But all in it was €25 for a haircut and €25 for a beard trim. Ouch. In their defence, plenty of people left that baber's with top class haircuts, fit to impress.

At the wedding I was accused of not making an effort, I'd spent €50 to look this bad. But then again I look like that everyday. I won't be return to Sam's or any other Barber's ever. Clippers for life!

The homeless people started giving me shit about me bringing to the tone of the area down, so I did some beard trimming. But not hair cutting, not getting silly like.

Anyway. The moment I so much as trim my beard I look like a bird.

I've nothing against women. Other than all those women I had to murder.

But is this a common thing? Do people trim their beards, and then catch themselves in the mirror and think JESUS, not so manly now are we?!

Or is that just me.

I don't notice it at the time, because it's all high powered trimming and attempting not to block the sink a la @Cornu Ammonis .

The homeless people started giving me shit about me bringing to the tone of the area down, so I did some beard trimming. But not hair cutting, not getting silly like.

Anyway. The moment I so much as trim my beard I look like a bird.

I've nothing against women. Other than all those women I had to murder.

But is this a common thing? Do people trim their beards, and then catch themselves in the mirror and think JESUS, not so manly now are we?!

Or is that just me.

I don't notice it at the time, because it's all high powered trimming and attempting not to block the sink a la @Cornu Ammonis .
I don’t trim my beard, it’s nothing to do with the mystery John Carpenter-esque horror in my sink. (My barber trims mine and he’s much better at it than me.)

Mine starts growing in all kinds of weird directions once it gets to a certain not-very-long length. At that point I usually try to trim it, despair at the results, shave it all off and start again.

I do trim mine once every 4 or 5 months ha, but I just do it myself with a pair of scissors. Who cares if it's not entirely even, whatever. It's a fuckin beard like, it'll do whatever the fuck it wants anyway

A few months back, ahead of my brothers wedding, for the first time ever, I decided to put my beard in the hands of a professional. I'm not great at maintaining my beard, it's pretty "natural". I was mostly curious to see if there were techniques that I could use going forward. I went early in the morning to Sam's Barbers on Dame Lane. I had to wait for an appointment.

Seeing as this was my "pamper day" I treated myself to a sit down coffee and scone in the revamped Bewley's on Grafton St. Where I watched celebrity lawyer Gerald Kean have his full Irish. This cost a whopping €9! I can only imagine what Gerald's bill was. But he did get a free third coffee after a mix up with 2 of the waiters (good start to the day for Gerald!).

Sam's barbers is a top rate establishment, the service was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. That said, I didn't give them much to work with. My hair is short and my bread is long. While I got what I'd asked for, keep it natural, it was only slightly better than the hack job I give myself every couple of months. I did get a wash and blowdry which was an experience in itself. I've never had a man touch my beard in that way before and I did smell great when I left. But all in it was €25 for a haircut and €25 for a beard trim. Ouch. In their defence, plenty of people left that baber's with top class haircuts, fit to impress.

At the wedding I was accused of not making an effort, I'd spent €50 to look this bad. But then again I look like that everyday. I won't be return to Sam's or any other Barber's ever. Clippers for life!

this reads like a lost artifact from a vanished civilisation - like they had thumped in pompei.

At a point it starts getting into stuff. Like it becomes hard to eat and things, because there's beard all over the shop.

So you have to go off and try to wash your beard because you've had lunch, and then if it's all horrible and hot and humid like it is in the DC all summer I end up with bearddruff.

I was clinging to the idea that if it gets really really long, I could just sort of point it off away from the troublesome areas, but that didn't work out.

The amount that it changes your face is crazy though. My daughter was staring at me afterwards, unclear what had gone wrong. The first time I just shaved it off and she ended up crying and made me promise not to do that again, so I just did trimming this time. She wasn't sure what had happened to me, and eventually she asked me if I'd changed my nose.

I don't know how beard relates to nose perception, but seemingly it does.

At a point it starts getting into stuff. Like it becomes hard to eat and things, because there's beard all over the shop.

So you have to go off and try to wash your beard because you've had lunch, and then if it's all horrible and hot and humid like it is in the DC all summer I end up with bearddruff.

I was clinging to the idea that if it gets really really long, I could just sort of point it off away from the troublesome areas, but that didn't work out.

The amount that it changes your face is crazy though. My daughter was staring at me afterwards, unclear what had gone wrong. The first time I just shaved it off and she ended up crying and made me promise not to do that again, so I just did trimming this time. She wasn't sure what had happened to me, and eventually she asked me if I'd changed my nose.

I don't know how beard relates to nose perception, but seemingly it does.
Just tuck it inside the jumper when eating, works for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back