"BBC criticised for Iggy race word" (1 Viewer)

SONYMEGADRIVE

hadn't heard about this at all - the bowsie!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7057072.stm

BBC criticised for Iggy race word

_42423254_iggypop_pa203b.jpg

Iggy Pop performed a set with his band The Stooges
The BBC has been criticised after rock star Iggy Pop used a racist term during coverage of the Glastonbury Festival.
The veteran musician made the remark in a live BBC Two interview while talking about visiting shops in north London.

The BBC issued an on-air apology the following day but broadcasting watchdog Ofcom received two complaints from viewers about the incident.

Ofcom ruled that the BBC "failed in its responsibility to ensure the offence caused was justified by the context".

It said the BBC could have lessened the impact of the word by issuing an on-air apology "as soon as possible after the incident occurred".

The rock musician gave the interview in June after a set with his band The Stooges.

In the interview, the singer launched into a long anecdote about visiting "Paki shops" in Camden.

The BBC said the US singer was probably unaware that a term commonly used 30 years ago had now passed out of "polite usage".

A BBC spokesman added: "Iggy Pop is one of the wildest men in rock music and, as such, he has a built-in content advisory warning."

I was pretty sure, although I was off in the campsite at the time, that I heard Iggy yelling something about "niggers" at Electric Picnic. Did anyone else catch that?

I was pretty sure, although I was off in the campsite at the time, that I heard Iggy yelling something about "niggers" at Electric Picnic. Did anyone else catch that?

Yeah he said "potato niggers". Thats Iggy slang for Irish people.

I don't remember hearing that at the ep, I imagine I'd remember something like that too.

ironically the BBC, who gave Alf Garnett a home, do not subscibe to the view

'If it's good enough for Alf Garnett, it's good enough for Iggy Pop'.

The last episode of the 1974 series of Till Death Us Do Part is called 'Paki Paddy'. Spike Milligan plays Paki Paddy.

Any word on a Blu-Ray release of Love thy Neighbour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back