Bank charges (1 Viewer)

The deal I have here is that if I transfer my paycheck direct to my checking account, there are no fees
They get to use my money, and I get to use their ATMs

35c per go at an ATM seems excessive to me, tbh

Do Revolut and N26 have ATM cards?

Can you access cash with them?
N26 has 5 free ATM transactions a month. I never use it though - it’s all contactless payments these days.

What was the work like?
Did you have any German?
Work was dull as fuck, but undemanding and paid REALLY well for the time (think it was 8-something an hour when I had made 2 quid an hour the previous summer at home). Hadn't a word of German, though in fairness neither did most of my workmates (Turkish, Yugoslav, Irish mostly). Had a fairly unpleasant summer - lived in a tent for the first 6 weeks and Irish people were widely discriminated against by the locals (couldn't get into most bars/clubs/etc, one of the Irish lads I knew had his head kicked in the factory, none of us knew enough German to even be able figure out why). On the plus side I went inter-railing afterwards, which was great, and had more money than usual for a little while the following year in college

(also adding to the nastiness was an Irish girl living in the campsite was raped and murdered while we were there - didn't know her, but ... well, it was all pretty horrible)

Ulster Bank introduced new charges lately too. Adding up (for me) to around a hundred quid a year

Back in 1991 I (like a zillion other Irish students) worked on the assembly line in BMW Munich for the summer - had to open a bank account to get paid, didn't close it quick enough after withdrawing my last paycheck and ended up with a negative balance. Had to pay to close the account

I have a ‘ufirst account’ with ulsterbank which costs me €10 month but comes with a few benefits that outweigh the cost:

European travel insurance (currently not worth a fuck with C-19)

10% discount off every single ticketmaster ticket you buy (also not worth a fuck with C-19)
(Previously mobile phone insurance, no longer offered)

interest free Overseaft

and zero bank charges a year.

so, excluding the C-19 issue, Im up every year on my bank

bank charges don't really bother me. granted, i've been in a salaried job all my life so cashflow has not been an issue.
but, and i know there are multiple caveats to this, it seems a little weird to expect that one of the most important services you avail of - from a private institution - should come free.
i'd be more worried about firewalls between private and commercial banking, etc., than about charges. i'd prefer you charge me if you can guarantee my money is safe, rather than give it to me for free but gamble with my money in inflated property markets.

edit: also worth mentioning my dad was a bank manager, which probably has a bearing on my stance. and he worked for NIB, famous for their creative approach to charges.

I ditched Ulster bank the minute they talked about charges last year, had been with them since my first job. Went to N26, has been great, the only downside is the online lotto won't accept non Irish bank details. Saves me even more money, I suppose!

bank charges don't really bother me. granted, i've been in a salaried job all my life so cashflow has not been an issue.
but, and i know there are multiple caveats to this, it seems a little weird to expect that one of the most important services you avail of - from a private institution - should come free.
i'd be more worried about firewalls between private and commercial banking, etc., than about charges. i'd prefer you charge me if you can guarantee my money is safe, rather than give it to me for free but gamble with my money in inflated property markets.

edit: also worth mentioning my dad was a bank manager, which probably has a bearing on my stance. and he worked for NIB, famous for their creative approach to charges.
The deal was always that they got to hold our money, which they could then loan out and charge interest on, which we would then get a small cut of as deposit interest.

so ulster bank are leaving ireland.

I have things all worked out till this happens.

money goes in there
S/o's and DD's to pay for all the things
s/o's to another account for day to day stuff.
I don't even have a card or online banking for it, I just set it up and ignore it.

all I had to do was keep the balance above a certain amount and there were no fees.

Is there a bank that is going to stay in ireland who has a no fees threshold left.

I'm still using the student account I opened in 1995 and my pass card says "Student Debit Card" so I guess it's still a student account but I think I'm paying fees that students shouldn't be paying (tapping, withdrawal). I'm raging and don't know how to fix it without getting asked if I'm still a student and if I have proof.

It's different now, I'd imagine. Student bank accounts have probably none of the benefits compared to 90s college kids.

I'd say - guessing here - you're just getting charged what a uni boy gets charged nowadays.

Closed my Bank of Ireland a/c last year, and am essentially bankless now apart from Building Society. 6eu a month, pack of jokers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back