banana cupcakes with lime frosting (1 Viewer)

daydream_nation

Website
Visit site
i finally bought an electric whisk today - with sexy results...

(makes 18 cakes)

250 g butter
225g caster sugar
3 large ripe bananas
2 large eggs
375g self-raising flour
75mls milk
juice and zest of 1 lime

frosting:
125g cream cheese
250 g icing sugar
zest and juice of 1 lime

preheat oven to 180/gas mark 4
whisk butter and sugar til fluffy. add eggs and continue to whisk...mixture will curdle but its ok. fold in mashed bananas and flour. pour in milk, juice & zest of lime and continue to fold.
fire into the oven for 20-25 mins.

sift icing sugar over cream cheese, beat well. add zest of lime and a little juice, not too much as the frosting might be too runny (i made this mistake :))

i put some crumbled up flake on top but the recipe suggests dried banana chips. either way, highly recommended!

i am moving house next week and have loadsa eggs and flour to use up... cake suggestions welcome!

i finally bought an electric whisk today - with sexy results...

(makes 18 cakes)

250 g butter
225g caster sugar
3 large ripe bananas
2 large eggs
375g self-raising flour
75mls milk
juice and zest of 1 lime

frosting:
125g cream cheese
250 g icing sugar
zest and juice of 1 lime

preheat oven to 180/gas mark 4
whisk butter and sugar til fluffy. add eggs and continue to whisk...mixture will curdle but its ok. fold in mashed bananas and flour. pour in milk, juice & zest of lime and continue to fold.
fire into the oven for 20-25 mins.

sift icing sugar over cream cheese, beat well. add zest of lime and a little juice, not too much as the frosting might be too runny (i made this mistake :))

i put some crumbled up flake on top but the recipe suggests dried banana chips. either way, highly recommended!

i am moving house next week and have loadsa eggs and flour to use up... cake suggestions welcome!
I've to throw some rep around before giving you some back. I made little carrot cake cupcakes with that same icing. Lovely. Think I posted the recipe on Thumped. I'll dig it out.

Here we go. It was in tghis thread http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=73401&page=2

If you're too busy to follow that link and scroll down, I'll save you the trouble
Originally Posted by the interenet
Carrot Cakes with Cream Cheese Icing
For the cupcakes
scant 1/2 cup of light brown sugar
3/4 cup of sunflower oil
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
zest of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1/2 orange
2 medium carrots grated
scant 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
12-cup muffin pan lined with 12 cupcake cases

for the icing
1/2 cup philadelphia
1 2/3 cups icing sugar (confectioner's sugar), sieved
1-2 tsp of lime juice
12 walut halves

Preheat the oven to 400 F (205 c). Beat sugar and oil together (easier in a kitchenaid mixer), then add the eggs one at a time. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and zests, then fold in carrots and chopped walnuts. Spoon into the cupcake cases in the muffin tin and bake for 20 mins (a little less if you want them very moist). Cool on a rack.

Wait until the cupcakes are cool before starting the icing - you need a light touch for this, I overdid it and ended up with slightly too gooey icing. By hand, soften up the cream cheese a little in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Beat in the icing sugar, then squeeze in the lime juice. Spread on the icing with a knife, and place a walnut half in the centre of each cupcake

The recipe comes from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. An excellent book. The recipe above is one I found on the internet which Americanised the quantities. Should be easy enough to follow. If you're struggling, let me know and I could transcribe the one from the book when I'm at home.

If you have flour and eggs to use up, I'd recommend getting the Nigella book anyway.

Noice.
I rarely buy eggs, but if I ever make cakes with them (I don't use 'em for anything else, they make me feel sick) I immediately regret it as I have a 'cupcake limit' before all the butter and eggs makes me want to vom. I think it's about 2-3 so it's not that bad, ha! ;)
So three cupcakes for me tomorrow night then daydream :p I'll eat through the pain....

You could try making a pound cake with raspberries - I put the recipe here somewhere before, will find it. Raspberries in cake = unreal.

mm will try out those carrot cakes. another way you can make the frosting is to use 250g of cream cheese and a 2 tablespoons of honey, juice & zest. might try that one and see if its less runny.
a have a recipe for lemon and ginger cakes too, will post the recipe once i try it out.
those banana ones were made for a coffee morning in work today, they got good reviews, ie theyre all gone :)
raspberry cake - yes please!

What a bunch of fatso's.

I'm gonna make those banana cakes with rasberries in.

Raspberry Beret ;)

2 medium eggs
120g (the weight of the eggs) in low-fat butter and 120g flour (I used plain but then added 1.5tsp baking powder and .5 sp salt to make it self-raising), and 30g lo-cal fruit sugar.
Made up the batter and then spooned in some tinned raspberries (didn't add the syrup) - they all broke up into pieces but it worked out ok!
Baked for 25 mins in a loaf tin and it turned out lovely (and not too fatty).
The raspberry pieces are yummy and make it really moist. Covered it in glacé icing and sprinkled hundreds and thousands on top. Easy peasy and delicious!

we love you too of course! :)

we should have a cupcake party some night, seriously.
stuff our faces with home made cupcakes and drink lots of wine
and listen to records
mint!

ooof! cpr you are welcome to come to mine tomor night if you like as myself n sweet o were planning to do all of the above anyway. dinner, desert & booze provided - just bring choons.

I just made the banana cakes(for a party tonight).

Fucking TASTY!

Here we go. It was in tghis thread http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=73401&page=2

If you're too busy to follow that link and scroll down, I'll save you the trouble
[/I]
The recipe comes from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. An excellent book. The recipe above is one I found on the internet which Americanised the quantities. Should be easy enough to follow. If you're struggling, let me know and I could transcribe the one from the book when I'm at home.

If you have flour and eggs to use up, I'd recommend getting the Nigella book anyway.

i made these at the weekend... didnt turn out the best, i was cooking them in a gas oven as oppossed to an electric/fan assisted oven (which is foolproof). they didnt rise very well and also tasted really eggy... i left them in for ages with greaseproof paper on top to stop the outside from burning.
made lemon cupcakes yesterday and the same thing happened. i know that 180 in a fan assisted oven = gas mark 4, however often for frozen stuff it recommends say to cook at 220, or 200 if you have a fan oven. so i reckon i'll try the next batch at gas mark 5. any advice would be great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back