Ballroom of Romance#17 Friday June 20th 2003 (1 Viewer)

Knacker

Website
www.ballroomofromance.com
Ballroom of Romance#17
Friday 20th June 2003

Venue: The Lower Deck, Portobello Harbour, Dublin 2.

Time: 9pm

Admission: €6 (free CD-R to the first one hundred people in the door)

Bands:

Cat on Form (http://www.diskant.net/catonform/)
Hailing from Brighton, Cat on Form are the first English band we’ve had over. And we’re damn lucky! Their debut album, “Structure and Fear” will be out in July on Southern Records.

They have manic, loud and individualistic performances that demand reaction. This promises to be an incredible show.

One journalist commented that their music is “the sound Fugazi would make if you turned them all into dogs, starved them for a week and then shoved them in a room full of, well, cats”.

Tracer AMC (http://www.traceramc.co.uk/)
Belfast-based Tracer AMC have been one of the leading instrumental bands on this island for the past few years. Having played previously played with the likes of June of 44 and Fugazi, they make atmospheric bass and guitar melodies. Since the release of their pelican E.P. on Errol Records the band has expanded it's array of sounds to include glockenspiels and violins. Currently working on further material, the Ballroom is delighted to have these guys around.

Puget Sound
Puget Sound are certainly one of the best punk bands to have come from Dublin in past few years. As one web-site said they were “formerly a "reggae punk" band their sound has definitely matured over the years – they now play really complex hc punk which has to be heard to be understood”. They’ve played in Germany, Britain, Holland and even Brazil. And they’re in the process of releasing a new album at the moment.

Wormholes (http://www.groov.ie/memorycells/thewormholes.html)
Wormholes have been at the forefront of avant-garde rock in Ireland for several years now. Albums such as “Chick Dig Scars” and “Parajuana” are among the best of independent releases to have come from Ireland. They are also instrumental in putting together the Lazybird club.

They’re getting back to playing more live shows and have re-shaped their sound. We’re proud and happy as hell to have these guys playing a Ballroom.

Uninteresting fact: In 1987, Graham Blackmore's big brother was pretty much responsible for getting me into thrash metal.

Thanks, Ken.

edit: that reminds me of a slightly less boring anecdote.... this country bloke walks into the Sound Cellar one day and asks them for "the Batlord album". After much confusion ("Batlord - you know, the black one with the goats head on the cover! BATLORD, lads!" etc) , hilarity ensued when it transpired he was looking for this.

Ah it was funny at the time.

Originally posted by Knacker
The Ballroom of Romance will be one year old the day after this show.

And I'll be one year older the day before. Stupid passage of time and progress toward grave, I hates you.

go from an a hup ballroom to a d hup ballroom

Hup and all that.

Anyway, Ballroom of Romance Birthday Bash will be on the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday. That's Sunday 3rd August. It's going to have 10 acts, and it'll go from 8 until 3. However, there's a change of venue... just for the craic. It's going to be in the Sugar Club at the end of Leeson Street.

here, buh. i've read 'lords of chaos'. bathory = mad nazi churchburner vegetarians. maybe we can ask our new stormfront pals about them.

here, kronos and raprock and ziggurat; do youse like batlord?

Originally posted by silo
here, buh. i've read 'lords of chaos'. bathory = mad nazi churchburner vegetarians. maybe we can ask our new stormfront pals about them.

here, kronos and raprock and ziggurat; do youse like batlord?

I have Venom's Black Metal somewhere at home
song on it called Countess Bathory

fine album

Here's the poster

Ballroom Birthday Bash has been confirmed. It'll be on Sunday 3rd August (that's the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday). It's on in the Sugar Club and will be running from 8 in the evening until 3 in the morning. We're finalising the acts, but there will be 13 of them.

Attachments

• poster17.jpg
    poster17.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 92
Originally posted by billygannon
Here's the poster
We're finalising the acts, but there will be 13 of them.

.|..|

I'm sure it'll be a logistical nightmare to organise. Good luck!

Right...

I'm off tomorrow morning to Barcelona.

This Ballroom is Friday week. It will be one of the best shows ever.

New sound man at the helm in David Broy from the Ruby Sessions.

Cat on Form are thrilling. Tracer AMC's track for the CD is class...
Puget Sound are sounding better and better all the time (Rory is a great drummer by all accounts) and Wormholes... well.. they're the Wormholes!

If you go to the Gallery Gig at 6.15 (where Mumblin' Deaf Ro' and Keith Moss will be playing for about an hour)... there will be five Ballroom CDs there... they'll have a brand on them... if you show them at the door we'll let you in for a discounted price.

So... Friday night on the 20th June... Gallery Gig with Mumblin' Deaf Ro' and Keith Moss... then food somewhere along George's Street or Camden Street... then the Ballroom... and maybe, just maybe an oul' party somewhere with singing, dancing and FLESH, JESUS, FLESH!

There may be a couple of MP3s from the bands up on our reserve site... if they're up, they'll be up Wednesday next week....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back