Ballroom #97: Stoat/ Large Mound/ Yeh Deadlies/ Captain A (1 Viewer)

Unclealo

Uncle Alo
Website
www.thirteenthlock.net
Ballroom #97
Stoat
Large Mound
Yeh Deadlies
Captain A

Friday April 23rd
The Lower Deck
€10, doors 9pm

Stoat

l_0a3bab925dcf445ab1f4bdd2853216e7.jpg

The word of Stoat according to Cormac:

I was 15 when I met John - he had heard I was learning classical double bass and he needed a bass player for his band, so he arrived into my class in school looking to recruit me. I had a kind of fantasy vision of launching into some kind of virtuoso improvisation the first time I picked up an electric bass, but instead spent my first practice struggling with "Message in a Bottle" and "Run to you" - hey, this was the 80s in rural Ireland, we thought REM were avant-garde.

I'd been making up my own music since I was little, and John had his own collection of half-written songs, so after a bit we started to replace the covers with originals. We were so excited about it - this was when U2 were really starting to hit the big time, and rock'n'roll really seemed like a valid career choice, hoho. We even made a demo of sorts, recorded to 2-track in an abandoned aerodrome in a field where John's family grew strawberries, and sent it to Dave Fanning or John Peel or someone and waited for the phone to ring.

And then ... well, time passed. We grew up, and the same stuff happened in our lives as happens in everyone else's - leaving home, girls, college, dole, emigration, work, and eventually wives and kids. And the band persisted, even though at times "the band" was little more than in idea in our heads, just a name for me and John shooting the breeze and poking around with a 4-track in his cowshed once in a while.

We entered our current phase around 1997, I returned from a few years in England with a bit of money to spend on equipment and raring to go. Most of the equipment was stolen shortly after we bought it, including our drum machine, and so we had to look for a drummer. Eventually we found Stephen, a city boy who had spent his youth sneaking into underground punk gigs (while we spent ours listening to Dire Straits) - he liked what we were doing and he's been one of the family ever since.

Since then we've been doing all the usual stuff bands do - playing gigs, releasing CDs, trying (and sometimes succeeding) to get on the radio and on TV etc etc. All without, really, anything that any but the kindest observers might consider "success" ... but, it seems, that wasn't what we were after, even as kids, because if we had been we'd surely had stopped doing this years and years ago. We don't even do it for fun, really, being in an underground band has its share of grimness and often it's no fun at all. It's just part of who we are.

We've no master plan for the future. The most likely scenario is we'll continue to compose our little musical adventures and play them for a small group of other people-in-bands, and the rest of the world will continue to be unaware of our existence.

http://www.myspace.com/stoatmusic

http://www.stoatmusic.com

Large Mound

l_d96b6b3791ea4c5b8a2965a059cb9ba5.jpg

Large Mound is a well-known rock group based in Dublin. In the beginning things were scrappy: with 4-track tape experiments and a "here's a riff, here's a song" approach to writing. Since then the Mound have evolved into one of Ireland's best rock bands, with three (short) full length albums, extensive gigging experience, and mounting critical acclaim under their belts. The musical goal of combining downstroke rock, metal riffs and smart songwriting has remained constant tough. Reviewers have drawn comparisons with bands like Sebadoh, AC/DC, Fugazi and Teenage Fanclub, and the band wouldn't have too much of a problem with any of that. All of Large Mound's songs are about working, rocking, and the funny things that happen to you in between. This was summed up in the opening line of their debut single, I Thought You Were Dead, "Short, simple songs about life". 2009 seemed quiet with LM only playing 2 gigs all year but they remained as busy as possible and have album number 4 written and ready to record.

www.largemound.com

http://www.myspace.com/largemound

Yeh Deadlies

l_86679b28b93e4a53b5c924adef91202c.gif

Yeh Deadlies (the band) was conjured from dog-tired minds at the end of a protracted game of musical chairs. They ply a meldoic, country-tinged power pop reminiscent of your Ma.

yeh deadlies are Jonny Quagmeire (vocals, guitar), Jonny Fun (vocals, bass), Jerry Bakewell (vocals, organ), Grave Deen (drums), and the Tier-Annie-saur (vocals, guitar, egg).

The band have produced two eps to date, the ghost chipper ep and the snow joke ep. The first was released on American indie Goodnow Records and the second on the Irish Abomination Records. They have contributed songs to An Abominable Christmas ep which also features So Cow and Big Monster Love.

yeh deadlies have played with bands such as Ari and Uzi, So Cow, Land Lovers and The Dudley Corporation.

The band are (con)currently working on their debut album.

http://www.myspace.com/yehdeadlies

Captain A

m_32adf58bd6754e5d9aec85628b2a276e.jpg

Originally a straight to tape project by Eoghan Holland (The Evangelists, Aurel), An evolving line up of Captain A have released six studio albums and one EP, which are rarely sent to the press and more likely to be forced into your hand at a gig then anything, hence the lack of delicious quotes adorning our bio. We've also never done a live show before.
Beginning with the acoustic album about death '...dictionary muses...' in 2005, Captain A continued through a fast run of releases, following up again later in 2005 with 'the last days of the eclectic para' EP, a more electronic and experimental collaboration with Lorna McLaughlin.

In Early 2006 after spending 8 weeks in a Minneapolis basement with Mike Bernard, Captain A released the results of this jam session as a double album called “The Mell of Amorica”. Re-establishing back in Donegal in early 2006, summer brought “Summer of Tourettes”. After recording four full length albums in just over a year Captain A decided to cut Captain A some slack, to concentrate on not releasing music for a while to see what would happen.

Enlisting Joleen Mclaughlin and Rohan Armstrong the “Captain A band” began to play together during winter 2006 which became the early sessions for Guerrilla Love Songs. Guerrilla Love songs became a long term project, eventually roping 11 collaborators into the studio in various ways and the album fell together in mid 2007. After GLS the emerging Captain A line up of Eoghan (guitar), Joleen (harp) and Rohan (double bass) recorded a project described as 'Yellowback', released in March 2008.

In 2009 the home studio broke down while working with Zafaranchos and Captain A once again went on some form of hiatus, reconvening in november 2009 to record a another mini album, once again with Rohan Armstrong and adding Neil Burns (organ/keys) and Eileen Twomey (Singer with Dublin's own Prairie Dawgs) with contributions from Joleen McLaughlin (Harp), Brian O'Higgins (drums with every band in dublin) and Allen Blighe, an unknown outcast of the Dublin music scene. Captain A hope to release the resulting mini album sometime close to the summer of 2010 and early mixes of these songs can be found on youtube. Captain A are stoked to play the Ballroom of Romance.

www.myspace.com/captainspace

http://captainsi3log.blogspot.com/

Wish I could make it, every band playing is someone I really want to see.
Stuck going to Brandi Carlile instead :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bring a guitar and play along to this one...

Wow I was gonna bring my guitar anyway. Mind if I just play face melting solos over everything instead?

I'm going to be flying in from Rialto for this. Fingers crossed the ash cloud is gone by then ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back