Backing up vs Archiving (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
Question. How do people archive their work? I mean beyond back ups. I have years of work here. I have been archiving to DVD for a while and CD before that and have stacks of discs in boxes all labeled. We're heading into a post-optical drive world, so what are you supposed to do? What do people do for archiving?

i wouldn't trust CDR or DVDR for longterm storage. I'd go for a combination of cheap (you can get a 2TB USB3 external drive for under €100 from dabs.ie now) local archival storage and something like Amazon Glacier for remote.

So this is it. You have shelves of unplugged HDs. This is for stuff like 10 year old work. Stuff you're hardly likely to ever need again?

Yeah..HD all the way.

Cds and Dvds fall to bits

I have 3 local copies (2 local machines + 1 external hard drive) and I also keep a backup copy in Amazon Glacier (used to be S3 until Glacier was launched)

I've had my own website for so long that I have unlimited storage with the hosting company. So I'm slowly archiving everything via ftp using Acronis. I've had two drives fail this year, one that wasn't backed up anywhere else. (well, I dropped it and broke it, it didn't quite 'fail'.)

the cloud is where it is heading anyways. i could see android stuff coming out with only ram and everything online with g4. already there are a few apps that i just take down when i need them, then erase straight after.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You mean like their disaster recovery procedures?

just make sure they're regularly backing up your server / data off the box it's saved on.

I know it's your second copy, but still.

services like mozy / crashplan / carbonite are great for backups, keeping your stuff permanently in sync on your PC and in the cloud, but be very careful when using them for archiving.

Ideally archiving means keeping your stuff permanently, forever, eternally, never to be deleted. Check the terms of service carefully for stuff like this in the crashplan FAQ:

How long are deleted files retained?
If you delete files from your system, they remain backed up and in your backup archive forever, as long as:
The files remain selected in your backup file selection.
If you remove files from your backup selection, you're telling CrashPlan “I don't want these files backed up anymore” meaning that these files are no longer needed for restoring. As a result, any and all versions are flagged for removal from the backup archive.
Your “Remove deleted files after” setting is set to “never”

So what are ye using??

Does google have a service??

I need about 50-100gb off site storage for work.

with crashplan does it just back up your HD or can you make extra folders with stuff that you don't need locally all the time?

Kinda want to cloud some stuff i only work on occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back