Baby Names (1 Viewer)

is your really name Laniel?

Moose my name isn't really Pantone, so no offence taken

Is your name really Fiacla? like teh toothpaste?

I'm named after this hot momma

LaurenBacall-709892.jpg

shame the only thing we have in common is our first name :(

From Gawker
http://gawker.com/news/the-parent-crap/ame...dren-272031.php

Americans Now Too Stupid To Name Own Children
Self-obsessed parents-to-be have one more thing to worry about: What to name the little testament to themselves once Mommy poops it out. You don't want your little angel to be like every other Madison in her class. The solution? Baby-naming consultants.

Last fall, John Bentham, 36, a Las Vegas theater producer, and his wife, Shannon, 29, who runs a nonprofit foundation, says they felt "enormous pressure" to find a strong-sounding boy name. "I wanted a name that would look good on a marquee or a political banner," Mrs. Bentham says. Though they had agreed on the letter "j," none of the names they came up with -- Jude, Julian, Jake, Jason, or John Jr. -- seemed original enough. They hired Ms. Walker and Mr. Reyes, who produced an 11-page list of possibilities, including Jackson. In March, the Benthams welcomed little Jackson Dean into the world.

Walker and Reyes are a couple who offer "name consultations and workshops," and charge you fifty dollars a pop to help make sure that your Paolo isn't some pedestrian Paul. One California woman dropped nearly $500 to have a numerologist make sure the name she chose had "positive associations." Parents of America, we implore you: Save your money for the nursing home you're going to need when your offspring, bitter about a lifetime of "Anderson"ness, refuses to take you in during your declining years.

The Gawker thing related to a piece in the WSJ
(warning it's a little long but it's funny and has a few pictures)

The Baby-Name Business, FFS.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1182474448...=googlenews_wsj

Is your name really Fiacla? like teh toothpaste?

I'm named after this hot momma

LaurenBacall-709892.jpg

shame the only thing we have in common is our first name :(

my old mans family had the whole 'oldest son of oldest son cristened called john' thing going down for generation, with the whole every second generation being called jack. me father broke the trend by calling me eoin (the irish version of john).

So I got landed with a crap name, when by hereditary right should have been called jack.

thanks a lot da!!!

my old mans family had the whole 'oldest son of oldest son cristened called john' thing going down for generation, with the whole every second generation being called jack. me father broke the trend by calling me eoin (the irish version of john).

So I got landed with a crap name, when by hereditary right should have been called jack.

thanks a lot da!!!

You could just change your name like I did when I was 15.

At what age were Native Americans named? Traditionally like.

-Posts on Thumped

http://www.native-languages.org/baby.htm

Well, it really depends what kind of name you are looking for. If you want a traditional Native American name, you will need to speak to an elder or religious leader in the tribal community you are associated with. Every Native American tribe has slightly different naming traditions. In many, a true name is not given until after a baby is born, not until the child reaches puberty in some cases. In other tribes babies must be given names from their parents' own family or clan. Traditional American Indian names are often spiritually divined, unique to each individual, and/or related to an accomplishment, rite of passage, dream, or life event. Obviously, this is not something you are going to be able to replicate online, in a baby book, or from strangers. There is no way to get a traditional Indian name other than from an older family member, tribal religious leader, or an elder who has met you and probably your child in person.

Interesting page there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back