Baby Names (1 Viewer)

The thing about baby names is that they're hostages to fortune. What if the person/thing you named your baby after was gold-standard good, but because of the machinations of a manipulative lawyer became a racist thing? That is happening to real people.
Now look at your own life problems again, and tell me if you think they are real, compared to this holocaust of happenstance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/15/nyregion/the-name-atticus-acquires-an-unwelcome-association.html

The Name Atticus Acquires an Unwelcome Association
When Oscar Boykin and his wife, Liz, heard that a new Harper Lee novel was to be released, populated by the same characters as “To Kill a Mockingbird,” they envisioned a tsunami of baby boys named Atticus storming the country, and their own son, Atticus, who is 9 months old, would no longer stand out.

If only.

In “Mockingbird,” Atticus Finch was the beloved, honorable father figure, a namesake freighted with values and meaning. In the new book, “Go Set a Watchman,” which was released on Tuesday, Atticus is a racist.

Fans of “Mockingbird” have been crestfallen and disbelieving that their hero could be so changed, but perhaps no group more so than those who chose that name for their children...........

ATTICUSweb2-articleLarge.jpg

Racist kid's chair, other kid's chair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back