ATP ON MTV ROCKFEEDBACK DOCUMENTARY (1 Viewer)

meta

Website
www.visi.com
rockfeedback tv’: debut of new, lo-fi alt music-show on MTV2, june 4th & june 5th

Music-television: many connotations already... Save for mouthy, but oh-so-right Simon out of ‘Popworld’, or national champion Zane Lowe on a brown couch, or even Jools ‘boogie-woogie’ Holland tinkling the ivories during some dodgy Afro-Caribbean ragga act we’ve never heard of, we’d be completely, utterly screwed.

‘rockfeedback tv’, set for late-evening debuts on MTV2 Europe in early summer 2005, is the mark of something hopefully more cohesive; a half-hour format without any pre-planned questioning, no ‘studio’ set, and – instead – probing, docu-style interviews and intimately shot live-footage getting to the heart of the artists in their natural, true environment.

It’s ‘presented’ by small-screen newcomer but behind-the-scene nurturer, Toby L – creator of independent, critically acclaimed online music-zine rockfeedback.com and hotly-pursued, new indie-label start-up Transgressive Records (the releasers of debut matter from the likes of media darlings Mystery Jets and The Subways). Look at him; he’s a geek. He’s willing to compromise his cool to talk about favourite b-sides with a fleet of artists that are similarly imbibed by their desire to keep close to their one true interest. Director and producer Marc Swadel (one of Cannes’ top-twenty-seven new directorial talents in 2003), meanwhile, has a globally-spanning past firmly rooted in directing promo-videos for skint, influential bands and televisual-matter for the truly subversive watcher.

The two ‘intro’ debut shows were shot at the cult All Tomorrow’s Parties UK festivals of April last year, 2004, and were screened exclusively for debut plays at the festival this year (Vincent Gallo-curated event). The bands/characters covered range from the downright legendary (Sonic Youth, dour Pixies/Nirvana producer Steve Albini, Love w/Arthur Lee) – to the innovative (Dizzee Rascal, Mogwai) – to the quirkily pop-infused (The Shins, The Fiery Furnaces) – to the, frankly, surreal (Turbonegro, Lightning Bolt).

A full series of six further shows, featuring brand-new content, will follow on MTV2 in the remainder of 2005. For the meantime, consider this the statement-of-intent inauguration. ‘rockfeedback is the purest youth of the ‘00s, meets the motormouth teenage genius that is our Toby L.’ Alan McGee, Founder of Poptones / Creation

'... A place positively fizzing over with wild enthusiasm... where you can learn about new bands before your mates...':'The Guardian'

‘... To be there at the birth of something musically great and to document it with style and love, rockfeedback does that time after time; call it dumb luck or call it art; you choose...’Geoff Travis, Founder of Rough Trade http://www.rockfeedback.com

gotta say, my initial gut reaction here is to be suspicious to the point of paranoia. transgressive records is a sony front, for a start, and rockfeedback.com is essentially a p.r. site. it would seem like this is going to be another trendy-underground show from mtv so they can sell more ads to credit card companies... the fact that alan mcgee is the hippest of the hep cats they can pay to hype the whole thing says a lot...

having said that, i watched plenty of 120 minutes and alternative nation in my youth, so there's a possibility that something might come of this. i await the hour-long 'thread pulls and their avant-garde haircuts' rockumentary special with bated breath...

they showed this show as i was packing up from the last atp and my hangover was being dragged around my head like a dead dog.

my conclusion - meh.

(oh, erase errata were cool on it. barry hogan has a very high pitched voice which is funny)

the dirty weed said:
they showed this show as i was packing up from the last atp and my hangover was being dragged around my head like a dead dog.

my conclusion - meh.

(oh, erase errata were cool on it. barry hogan has a very high pitched voice which is funny)

haha! you just reminded me of funny graffiti. to the lifestyle board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back