athletic bilbao (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I saw most of the second half of this and they were amazing. Sporting looked terrified of their harrying. Great finish to the game. Llorente looks like the kinda guy who wants to be a lifer at Bilbao.

Yeah, I saw most of the second half of this and they were amazing. Sporting looked terrified of their harrying. Great finish to the game. Llorente looks like the kinda guy who wants to be a lifer at Bilbao.

They are just a proper old fashioned team with players who all come from the local area and are properly adored by the fans. Such a contrast from the usual bullshit circus these days. Seems like Bielsa will be Barca's first choice if Guardiola doesn't renew his contract, which would be a massive shame. Everything about them last night was wonderful - agreed about the harrying, sporting are very fast on the break but Bilbao had 4 or 5 men sprinting back every time to close them down and come at them again. the winner was a bit lucky but that's the kind of luck you get from persistence and pure force of will. the channel 5 commentators in the UK were totally won over, it actually sounded like they were going to cry too when they won, it was all very emotional. I just haven't felt this happy from watching a football team for ages.

Oh, and forgot to mention the atmosphere in the stadium after the final whistle. It's been a long time since i've seen a whole stadium bouncing and in ecstasy like that. :Cry:

They are just a proper old fashioned team with players who all come from the local area and are properly adored by the fans. Such a contrast from the usual bullshit circus these days. Seems like Bielsa will be Barca's first choice if Guardiola doesn't renew his contract, which would be a massive shame. Everything about them last night was wonderful - agreed about the harrying, sporting are very fast on the break but Bilbao had 4 or 5 men sprinting back every time to close them down and come at them again. the winner was a bit lucky but that's the kind of luck you get from persistence and pure force of will. the channel 5 commentators in the UK were totally won over, it actually sounded like they were going to cry too when they won, it was all very emotional. I just haven't felt this happy from watching a football team for ages.

Kinda wonder how long they can keep that team together. There were stories doing the rounds that Javi Martinez was a big Rafa target at Liverpool one summer (I think it might have been the year of the Alonso out Barry in Kerfuffle, or more likely the year that Aquilani came in) and Llorente is another who's been mentioned a bit in the past couple of years (Spurs were linked 18 months ago). Super to watch though, hope they win both the cups.

actually, when I was in the airport coming home I met a friend of mine purely by chance, who'd been in the same area for the previous week. He told me him and his mates got a tonne of shit also for being Irish.

go and try it. Maybe it was just me.

Tito Villanova will replace Guardiola, which always seemed likely. They'll want continuity, not an outsider with his ideas, and staff etc. Biesla is very much his own man.

Not much to the story. Was in an ice cream shop, got chatting to the girl behind the counter, mentioned I was Irish, at which point 2 lads who overheard started laying into me saying shit like, 'we don't need you Irish here, we are Basques', 'fuck the irish', etc, etc.

You should have said you were English, Bilbao fans are quite anglophillic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back