Painting, decorating and desk advice... (1 Viewer)

_Katie_

I'm looking to buy a desk with a good bit of space for drawing, using for writing and general laptop work for my studio. Can anyone recommend one for a decent price that won't break the bank? I know IKEA is an option, but they're all a little on the small size in terms of workspace. Stupid sexy Swedes.

I'm also looking for a good brand/deal/price on paint to paint the walls of my studio. I've never painted a wall before so all help welcome. What would you recommend buying and where?

I'm also looking for a good brand/deal/price on paint to paint the walls of my studio. I've never painted a wall before so all help welcome. What would you recommend buying and where?
How pristine are you aiming for? I’m fussy when painting so I’ll:
- fill cracks and dents with polyfilla
- give a quick scrub with sugar soap (definitely if there’s any greasiness from cooking or whatever)
- mask off door frames, skirting boards, light sockets, etc.
- undercoat with basic white emulsion watered down 2:1 (I just use woodies own brand or similar), usually twice
- paint a nice colour on top, again two coats.

Use a roller for most of it, better finish and way quicker. Then paint brush for the edges.

I'm looking to buy a desk with a good bit of space for drawing, using for writing and general laptop work for my studio. Can anyone recommend one for a decent price that won't break the bank? I know IKEA is an option, but they're all a little on the small size in terms of workspace. Stupid sexy Swedes.

For the desk, would something like this be good? Desk Withtechnical Drawing Possibility For Sale in Swords, Dublin from zamelek

How pristine are you aiming for? I’m fussy when painting so I’ll:
- fill cracks and dents with polyfilla
- give a quick scrub with sugar soap (definitely if there’s any greasiness from cooking or whatever)
- mask off door frames, skirting boards, light sockets, etc.
- undercoat with basic white emulsion watered down 2:1 (I just use woodies own brand or similar), usually twice
- paint a nice colour on top, again two coats.

Use a roller for most of it, better finish and way quicker. Then paint brush for the edges.
This is so helpful! Thank you so much.

How long would you leave the emulsion to dry?

Same with paint?

This is an indoor studio space in a slightly old, slightly damp space... Wish me luck!

Also, any recommendation for cleaning the brush/paint set afterward?
Each coat should be ready for the next coat after 4-6 hours depending on the paint (it’ll be written on the tin). I’d do a coat in the morning, another in the later afternoon and then repeat the next day. I wouldn’t wash the brushes/roller between coats until you need to change colour. I just wrap them in a plastic bag until I do the second coat. Buy water-based paint (emulsion is a type of water-based paint) and you can clean them in the sink.

If the space is damp, does it have any damp patches on the wall? If so, the damp will seep through your new paint as it dries. Depending on your final colour, this could be quite noticeable. You can buy a special primer to put on before you do anything on any damp patches that will stop it coming through. It might need two coats on each damp patch.

My dad was a painter & decorator for over 50 years, so I usually try to go with “get a man in”. Apart from that I got nothing. Oh check out Pennyworth and The Boys.

Also, any recommendation for cleaning the brush/paint set afterward?

Disclaimer: This was my job for a while. I've had the same brush and roller for about 4 years now, or whenever I lived with @ernesto

Yeah have hot soapy water after. Allow 20 mins for cleaning a brush and a roller. With water based stuff hot soapy water (fairy liquid) and lots of it. I just put the fairy on the brush before involve the water, massage it into the brush and then bring on hot water.

If its oil or its got some 'use our special paint remover' crap on the label (paints are kinda just solids suspended in either oil type stuff or water) you massage white spirits into the the brush/roller first. this changes the surface tension of the paint so it can be suspended in water, then you do the hot soapy water routing.

With a roller its best to take it off the cage (the handle thing) before you start cleaning it. Same deal, massage in the soap till its blended with the paint and use hot water and bit more soap. its clean when the water runs clear.

Cheaper paint is harder to clean fyi. TBH I actually wont buy stuff that isn't called dulux these days, its twice the price but the difference in application and how it lasts over time is worth it to me.

RE: desk. If you aren't in a rush I occasionally make that kind of thing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back