Ask Thumped... (2 Viewers)

Unknown Convict

Website
www.bop.gov
My dad is 80 this month. My brother wants to buy him a tree for his birthday. I want to get him a 3D printer. Anyone experience with one?

He's pretty tech savvy (has built computers in the past). Can I get a decent one for €400-€500 (we're all chipping in)? Any pointers? Ta.

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Website
thumped.com
My dad is 80 this month. My brother wants to buy him a tree for his birthday. I want to get him a 3D printer. Anyone experience with one?

He's pretty tech savvy (has built computers in the past). Can I get a decent one for €400-€500 (we're all chipping in)? Any pointers? Ta.
I can confirm trees are pretty great. Don’t know anything about 3D printers.

magicbastarder

Website
stroma.org
you know the way spotify tells you around now 'you've listened to x hours of guff and y hours of spatchcock'.
my wife was told today that her fifth most listened to genre this year is, and i quote, 'gaian doom'.

what in holy hell is gaian doom? neither of us know.
FWIW, her most listened to track was a diamanda gallas one.

flashback

you know the way spotify tells you around now 'you've listened to x hours of guff and y hours of spatchcock'.
my wife was told today that her fifth most listened to genre this year is, and i quote, 'gaian doom'.

what in holy hell is gaian doom? neither of us know.
FWIW, her most listened to track was a diamanda gallas one.

Gaia?

Like the planet is a single organism Gaia? I've heard about this. I didn't know it was to do with music though.

There was a guy about 30 years ago who had a theory he called Gaia.

hiadudiad?

Supporter
Solutions
James Lovelock. As a young philosophy student I wrote an essay drawing inappropriate parallels between his gaia theory and Spinoza's pantheistic monism without really having a clue what either of them were and I thought it was really good but I failed and had to repeat that subject in the autumn :-(

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Website
brainwashed.com
I have that Lovelock book but haven't read it.

I think from my recent posts you're all probably getting a good idea of how extensive my pile of unread books is!

Burgerbarbaby

Supporter
Contributor
Website
www.facebook.com

A friend of mine does the 3d printing in Hackett's, he's a good egg. He says most people (his words) get him to print the parts for a 3d printer kit, and go home and make it themselves. No idea about the ins and outs of this, but it's something I'd love to do, might be useful information for you...
P.S. I owe you an email!

Unknown Convict

Website
www.bop.gov
A friend of mine does the 3d printing in Hackett's, he's a good egg. He says most people (his words) get him to print the parts for a 3d printer kit, and go home and make it themselves. No idea about the ins and outs of this, but it's something I'd love to do, might be useful information for you...
P.S. I owe you an email!
Thanks, I know Hackett's well through the day job. (Speaking of which, I might have another for you down Kilkenny way. Check your inbox soon.)

Lili Marlene

Trying not to have a bad day
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
We've had this out before but I want to have it out again.

When does the season of Winter start and end? For me, Winter starts in November and February is the first month of Spring. Weather and temperature are changeable, daylight hours are not. Winter is the three darkest months, not the three coldest months.

You?

Users who are viewing this thread

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads