Ask Thumped... (1 Viewer)

ilovehoovering

Supporter
Threads
I've been asked for suggestions for a nice pub for the afters of a very small wedding in Dublin in November. Having not lived in Dublin for nine years this is a bit of a struggle!

Anyone got any ideas? Ideally it'll be southside, not too far from Stephen's Green and needs to have some sort of bookable room/area.

7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
I've been asked for suggestions for a nice pub for the afters of a very small wedding in Dublin in November. Having not lived in Dublin for nine years this is a bit of a struggle!

Anyone got any ideas? Ideally it'll be southside, not too far from Stephen's Green and needs to have some sort of bookable room/area.
What day of the week?

Where do the bride & groom regularly drink in town?

Cormcolash

Threads
Website
geocities.com

Anseo upstairs room. Pretty small room though, but fits your bill. Just set a couple of speakers up and you're sorted. Only thing is people would have to go to the bar downstairs to buy the booze.

the_jen

Supporter
Threads

The Lucky Duck? Small private rooms with their own bar. You can bring in a wedding cake. Pretty enough for people in their good clothes. Can't remember if I was in the toilets though.

Cormcolash

Threads
Website
geocities.com
That show is so LOL, the way the sergeants all try to act tough and shit. You'd be pure Private Piles laughing at them and there'd be fuck all they could do about it except send you home.

7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
That show is so LOL, the way the sergeants all try to act tough and shit. You'd be pure Private Piles laughing at them and there'd be fuck all they could do about it except send you home.
I work with a guy here, ex-Marine

And he's ALL about joining the French foreign legion
But he looked into Ireland first - said we only have a Defence Force and he needs an army

So I guess this SPecial Forces is just like these Boot Camps you see in Fairview Park
And we don't have that kind of thing for reals

Cormcolash

Threads
Website
geocities.com
I work with a guy here, ex-Marine

And he's ALL about joining the French foreign legion
But he looked into Ireland first - said we only have a Defence Force and he needs an army

So I guess this SPecial Forces is just like these Boot Camps you see in Fairview Park
And we don't have that kind of thing for reals
I think it was the BBC made a version of that show as well, were the trainees went through 5 different special forces trainers in a week, from all different countries. There was a South Korean special forces trainer on it who was an absolute joke, if you were on the show you'd just walk off and when they asked you why you'd be like "Because you're putting clowns like this in charge" haha.
It was brilliant how noticeable it was too, because of the contrast with the other special forces ones they had on. Like you wouldn't mess with the South African lads for a second, they actually looked like they'd just batter you.

Cormcolash

Threads
Website
geocities.com
The French ones on that show seemed pretty tough alright.
I think one of the things that's so funny about the Irish version is that the sergeants are always going "Fucking this and fucking that" as if saying fuck is meant to make you scared of them, haha. Instead you'd be there like "If you lads were actually anything to worry about, you wouldn't even need to be shouting."

Cormcolash

Threads
Website
geocities.com
Where do they get the fuckin bozos for this show like.
"Well, I'm kind of afraid of heights, and water terrifies me, so I thought I'd apply for this thing that absolutely guarantees both of those getting thrown in my face"

Lili Marlene

Fast as You Can
Contributor
Threads
I dunno, I know a lad in the Irish defence forces, he spent a fair amount of time off on various "peacekeeping" missions that he'd rather not get into. I mean, I get the impression he wasn't gunning down innocents as much as other armies but he's certainly seen and done shit that no one should.

flashback

Threads
The foreign legion guys that I've interacted with have had a definite reason for being FFL. And by reason I mean criminal record, and clear mental health problems.

No judgment on criminal records, I'd imagine a lot of Irish people would have one if American rules were applied. Nor mental health problems. Glass houses and all that.

But the legion guys I've interacted with were a different lot. I've met zero legion guys that finished, toured, and got out successfully. None. I've met one who got worried about a specific tattoo that was looking at him one night, resulting in him having to cut that tattoo out of himself. That night. The butchery. I remember up to the point that he showed me the result of his handy word, from that point on is blank.

There was a few former legion lads couriering motorbikes around Dublin 20 odd years ago. The Foreign legion was crazy because that was where you ended up if you fell out of society. But then there were lads who fell out of the Legion. I imagined them getting chased down, but that's not the case. They fall out of the Legion, and end up on Honda NT650s delivering letters for lawyers.

ilovehoovering

Supporter
Threads
What day of the week?

Where do the bride & groom regularly drink in town?
That would've been useful info to include! A Saturday and they don't really drink in town. Apparently The Parlour in Whelan's has been noted as the kind of place that looks good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads