(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (1 Viewer)

Dear nlgbbblth,
Anytime I try to buy something using my Maestro on the internet, I'm asked for me three digit security code. I'm pretty sure I've never received one. How do I find out what it is? There isn't a string of numbers on the back of my card.
Thanks

I'm not fully conversant on this issue but I believe that using Irish Maestro for internet transactions is a non-runner without the security code and issue number. The latter should appear on the front of the card. I've heard that NIB cards have both but not the others.

Some people have suggested using '1' for the issue number.

more comments here

Looks like Visa Debit is better if you want to use a debit card online. Only offered by Halifax at moment I believe.

Stupid question: How exactly do you go about getting a cheque book? The bank website wouldn't tell me.

They're only available on current accounts.

Ring your branch and ask them to order one for you. Generally they're posted to your address.

Government stamp duty is 30 cent per cheque, payable when the book is ordered. So if they order a cheque book containing 20 cheques, you'll see a debit of €6 come out of your account a couple of days later.

Cheques are like vinyl.

Dear nlgbbbblth

I transferred some money to a record company in Spain, annoyingly I'd forgotten the exact amount but couldn't be arse coming back and queuing another day so guessed and as it happens I overpaid by about €2. Any obvious sollution? No biggie though.

Ta

Dear nlgbbbblth

I transferred some money to a record company in Spain, annoyingly I'd forgotten the exact amount but couldn't be arse coming back and queuing another day so guessed and as it happens I overpaid by about €2. Any obvious sollution? No biggie though.

Ta

as payments within the EU are practically free once the BIC and IBAN are used, there should be no reason why they couldn't send you back €2 by way of bank transfer.

totally depends on their good nature though.

as payments within the EU are practically free once the BIC and IBAN are used, there should be no reason why they couldn't send you back €2 by way of bank transfer.

totally depends on their good nature though.

Maybe they'll give me a credit note to use next time I (or a friend) is ordering from Wah Wah Records. Mmm Dave Davani & Staff Carpenborg reissues.

question: can you get cash money from an atm with a credit card if you have no money in your account? like cash on credit?

i was away travelling for 5 months and whilst in laos i got totally raped sideways with a lidl chainsaw.
i was charged close to 10% commission on the withdrawl amount.
before i left i asked the chump in aib about bank charges and he told me i'd never pay over 4%.
can i take this up with the bank or is this more to do with the bank in laos?

i was away travelling for 5 months and whilst in laos i got totally raped sideways with a lidl chainsaw.
before i left i asked the chump in aib about bank charges and he told me i'd never pay over 4%.

ask the man in AIB [he's allied and they're Irish] to give you a leaflet showing commission charges that apply from AIB when using your card abroad.

foreign banks do lob on a fee - it varies depending on location. Off-site machines in pubs or shops levy the most. If that's the case, there's little you can do.

Bridging loans, what do they cost?

I presume it's a good bit higher than the interest rate, and you pay back only interest?

Say you needed 50k, how much would that cost you a month?

varies

presumably gaff-related - i.e. sale closing on new one before proceeds are received on old one.

hard to get unless contracts are in place for the sale of the old one. No one will do open-ended bridging especially in current market.

yeah - interest only.

probably be looking at 8% - but it can be as low as 6.5% - 7%. Totally depends on circumstances, relationship, bigger picture etc. i.e. negotiable.

one month interest based on 8% = €333.33

Bank may charge arrangement fee. Again this is not set in stone but 1% isn't uncommon, i.e. €500. If asked to pay one, ask them will they accept say €300.

Probably not your forte but - i need to ring MBNA but the only non-1800 number they have is a reverse charge number and i can't ring that off an ozzie mobile. I know i rang them at christmas from laos, so they must have some kind of 01 or 071 or something number. Anyone?
Dunno if it's any good to you but i never got charged more than around e2 on my MBNA or BOI credit cards, though i never took out more than about e200 at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back