Arthur Russell Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Maybe they could order it in for you. Though that would involve having to ask, which I hate doing. Could yous not just move over to London, save up loads of money and buy it in Rough Trade like I did?

Or use Amazon.

I finally stumbled on Hold On To Your Dreams just after Christmas in Tower. Wasn't cheap but its a good read. Just at the start of the 80s now. Like wobbler said, its made me listen to a lot more Arthur Russell than usual, which is great because so much of it is good. And like you said, what a totally frustrating person to work with! His career is so confusing and weird. Because there's no lineage of albums to follow, its hard to tell where the different strands of his work all emerge and link together. But there's so much good stuff floating around.

I got it for Christmas. It's really good. Nearing the end now. It's getting bleak.

Two live clips that are also in the "Wild Combination" documentary.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

looking forward to getting my hands on this: http://www.strut-records.com/content/arthurs-landing-0

"Strut are proud to present the debut album by Arthur’s Landing, a broad collective of musicians that worked with New York’s revered Arthur Russell at different times during his career, from his more reflective acoustic work (‘World Of Echo’) to his disco projects (Loose Joints, Dinosaur L). Led by guitarist Steven Hall, the band comprises a core of six members with ‘floating’ guests joining for specific recordings and live shows. The collective also work together on side projects which will become part of the Arthur’s Landing umbrella, including Steven Hall & Joyce Bowden’s Recent Memory acoustic duo."

Anyone heard it?

check the soundcloud page; http://soundcloud.com/arthurs-landing

this looks nice...

4xLp, no mention of a price. hefty enough surely

The new edition of the 1981 album comes courtesy of Traffic Entertainment Group, the same company responsible for the 2007 CD and vinyl reissue. 24→24 was Dinosaur L’s sole album, and it was released on William Socolov’s Sleeping Bag Records (the first pressing was housed in a hand-silkscreened jacket). Produced and directed by Russell, who also sang and played cello, the band’s personnel included Peter Gordon (saxophone) and Peter Zummo (trombone).

Design and manufacture-wise the 24→24 box set is a collaboration between Get On Down and AntiDesigns USA. Each of the four 12″s is housed in its own LP sleeve, within a hand pulled, screen printed outer box. Liner notes come courtesy of Tim Lawrence (Russell biographer and author of the acclaimed disco history Love Saves The Day), there are previously unpublished photographs by Janette Beckman. No firm indication yet as to what music is being included in the set alongside the original album’s six tracks.

Russell nuts and vinyl fetishists should watch this video trailer for the box set, which is naturally soundtracked Dinosaur L’s music:

Bodytonic (12Sundays) is putting on Arthur Russell event for fans with memorabilia etc.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/event/beatyard-12sundays-present-arthur-russell-tribute-w-tim-lawrence-jim-carroll-david-kitt-angkorwat-wild-combination-more/

12Sundays present:
SOUND NOW, SEEK & YOU WILL FIND: A Celebration of ARTHUR RUSSELL w/ TIM LAWRENCE (Last Night a DJ Saved My Life) in conversation with Jim Carroll (Banter)
ANGKORWAT, PATRICK KELLEHER & HUNTER GATHERER (LIVE)
DAVID KITT, TR-ONE, QUARTER INCH COLLECTIVE, CONOR L, LOUIS SCULLY, SCHOOL TOUR & HULK
THE ASPECT RATIO-WATCH: ARTHUR RUSSELL'S 'WILD COMBINATION'
THE SHAW SPACE: HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAMS: AN EXHIBITION OF ARTHUR RUSSELL MEMORABILIA
YE OLDE PUMPKIN CARVE OFF

Bodytonic (12Sundays) is putting on Arthur Russell event for fans with memorabilia etc.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/event/beatyard-12sundays-present-arthur-russell-tribute-w-tim-lawrence-jim-carroll-david-kitt-angkorwat-wild-combination-more/

12Sundays present:
SOUND NOW, SEEK & YOU WILL FIND: A Celebration of ARTHUR RUSSELL w/ TIM LAWRENCE (Last Night a DJ Saved My Life) in conversation with Jim Carroll (Banter)
ANGKORWAT, PATRICK KELLEHER & HUNTER GATHERER (LIVE)
DAVID KITT, TR-ONE, QUARTER INCH COLLECTIVE, CONOR L, LOUIS SCULLY, SCHOOL TOUR & HULK
THE ASPECT RATIO-WATCH: ARTHUR RUSSELL'S 'WILD COMBINATION'
THE SHAW SPACE: HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAMS: AN EXHIBITION OF ARTHUR RUSSELL MEMORABILIA
YE OLDE PUMPKIN CARVE OFF

Brilliant!!!

Also- this just got released: http://boomkat.com/vinyl/451283-arthur-russell-let-s-go-swimming

4xLp, no mention of a price. hefty enough surely

The new edition of the 1981 album comes courtesy of Traffic Entertainment Group, the same company responsible for the 2007 CD and vinyl reissue. 24→24 was Dinosaur L’s sole album, and it was released on William Socolov’s Sleeping Bag Records (the first pressing was housed in a hand-silkscreened jacket). Produced and directed by Russell, who also sang and played cello, the band’s personnel included Peter Gordon (saxophone) and Peter Zummo (trombone).

Design and manufacture-wise the 24→24 box set is a collaboration between Get On Down and AntiDesigns USA. Each of the four 12″s is housed in its own LP sleeve, within a hand pulled, screen printed outer box. Liner notes come courtesy of Tim Lawrence (Russell biographer and author of the acclaimed disco history Love Saves The Day), there are previously unpublished photographs by Janette Beckman. No firm indication yet as to what music is being included in the set alongside the original album’s six tracks.

Russell nuts and vinyl fetishists should watch this video trailer for the box set, which is naturally soundtracked Dinosaur L’s music:

Tempting. Have the other reissue but might have to spash out on this.

Just found out today, courtesy of Pitchfork's review of Sandro Perri's new album that he did a 21 minute cover version of Kiss Me Again called Kiss Me Again and Again under the Polmo Polpo moniker. Instrumental, but pretty fuckin groovy.

someone posted this on facebook today, vocals are a bit arthur russell.

I sampled the drums from an Arthur Russell disco song and put them behind one of my songs and they are fucking deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back