Apple TV (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 2
was tempted at first but (at the time at least) very little of the good stuff was going to be supported here. I stream everything via PS3 now.

was tempted at first but (at the time at least) very little of the good stuff was going to be supported here. I stream everything via PS3 now.

sorry for thread hijack,
pete you know stuff right?

how come my girlfriend's PS3 wont play .mp4 files from a usb memory stick plugged in to the front but will play .avi files

Got in and jailbroke it last week. Installed XBMC and a few of it's plugins. Haven't been able to get Hulu working yet but i'm hopeful. Couldn't get and external working with the router as a NAS device with the ATV so setup an old G5 as a media server. So far XBMC has played every format i've tried. Just trying to setup itunes to share my music across the network. It's checking the files now so should know in an hour or so how that's working out. Hopefully i'll be able to share all the music around the gaf between the ATV and ipod/phone

ust trying to setup itunes to share my music across the network. It's checking the files now so should know in an hour or so how that's working out. Hopefully i'll be able to share all the music around the gaf between the ATV and ipod/phone

Will be interested to hear how this works out - thinking of doing the same meself.

Got in and jailbroke it last week. Installed XBMC and a few of it's plugins. Haven't been able to get Hulu working yet but i'm hopeful. Couldn't get and external working with the router as a NAS device with the ATV so setup an old G5 as a media server. So far XBMC has played every format i've tried. Just trying to setup itunes to share my music across the network. It's checking the files now so should know in an hour or so how that's working out. Hopefully i'll be able to share all the music around the gaf between the ATV and ipod/phone

How did this work out? I just bought one of the new ones - I hope its jailbreakable.

Getting tempted now. Sick of watching movies on the computer when there is a decent enough tv in the house. Also like the idea of steaming Netflix.

I've a Screenplay Pro that I never figured out and have just been using as a backup drive. Might try & get my head round that again.

Have the original ATV. Handy enough. Mostly use it for streaming audio from the iMac with airtunes, using Remote on the iPhone to control it. Paid 249e for it and a week later, version 2 came out for 99e. 4th time this has happened to me with Apple.

Happy Boxeebox owner here & I think it's the best media player available on the market. ATV is handy if you go down the legal route on all yours films/tv shows (or jailbreak it and stick XBMC or Plex or whatever else that's hackable on it). WDTV seems like a glorified file browser that happens to play movie files.

Boxee shines as it's interface is pretty and it properly indexes your content pulling down movie/tv show information from imdb/tvdb (or you can supply your own .nfo files). Subtitles can be loaded from opensubs.org whilst playing media.

Caveat though, I don't think the Netflix app has been updated for Ireland/UK (apps are loaded on the boxeebox based on the region of your IP).

Here, suppose I bring my Apple TV to Spain on holidays with me. There's a TV in the house there and there is wifi. I should be able to just plug it in and use it as I do at home, right? i.e. netflix movies for the kids ...... stream stuff from my iphone to it etc? Or am I missing something?

Here, suppose I bring my Apple TV to Spain on holidays with me. There's a TV in the house there and there is wifi. I should be able to just plug it in and use it as I do at home, right? i.e. netflix movies for the kids ...... stream stuff from my iphone to it etc? Or am I missing something?
Yup, fella at work went to France recently and just plugged it in and away he went.

I dont understand why you would by Apple TV thing. I heard its quite restrictive until its "Jailbroken"... What Pete (i have the previous model without Wifi card) has got will do everything that apple tv will do and more!!!

only problem with the WDTV box is the interface is a bit slow to get around

True but its a small price to pay... I've used the Apple TV once babysitting for the sister and i watched two movies and both were jumpy at times. Never got that on my WD box

I agree the Apple TV is restrictive on filetypes (unless you have a version 2 box that can be easily jailbroken for xmbc/plex) but the WDTV is essentially a file browser that happens to play all manner of video codecs.

Unless you manually grab the .nfo/.tbn for each video you stream through a WDTV, the box itself won't automatically pull the info down from IMDB/TVDB.

How does the WD TV handle TV seasons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back