Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album (1996) (2 Viewers)

Yeah, it works well there, and even better here I think, where it complements the melody rather than disturbing it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I found Squarepusher's beats didn't jar with the melody as much as others, maybe the samples aren't as abrasive. the first time i saw the video for Come on my selector i was blown away with how the video and sound were cut so well together.

I found Squarepusher's beats didn't jar with the melody as much as others, maybe the samples aren't as abrasive. the first time i saw the video for Come on my selector i was blown away with how the video and sound were cut so well together.

I just watched that - it's mad! I agree totally - the sound and visuals work really well together,and neither would make as much sense in isolation. I was actually thinking earlier today that the same applies with Girl Band... completely different sound notwithstanding.

Gave this another listen on the way to work. It's mad to be listening again to Aphex Twin in 2016, last time I would have listened was probably circa mid/late 90s but didn't pick this album up at the time, though mates of mine raved about it then.
I loved Windowlicker, Come to Daddy and the Selected Ambient albums.
Goon Gumpas must have been used as intro music for something- radio show maybe, or would I have heard it on the radio (Donal Dineen maybe?) It's really familiar but I definitely heard it outside of this album.
A few other tracks stick with me, Fingerbib, 4, Carn Marth, Logan Rock Witch, maybe Girl/Boy Song but I have to listen more. Some tracks don't do much for me at all. I like that it's a short album too, doesn't demand too much and doesn't outstay its welcome.
Stuck it on while house cleaning on Saturday and it worked well.

1 -4
I love this tune, beautiful strings & scattershot drums. It's a bit of an M.O. for aphex, serene music and abrasive percussion. Pretty good...yeah.

2 -Cornish Acid
Cool, squelchy synth bass, monstrous kick drum, haunting, dystopian notes in the background. Love it.

3 -Peek 824545201
If you play this for regular people the usual response is "WTF is that shite". I think it's great fun.Puts a smile on my face. Almost makes me nostalgic for dial up internet.

4 -Fingerbib
Quick conventional compared to peek. Very Kraftwerk-esque.
Strong classical influence as well.

5 -Carn Marth
Manic toytown rhythms. It's one of my least favourites on the album but great for annoying people. There's a reason why the public never warmed to drill & bass.

6 -To Cure a Weakling Child
A bit freaky this one. I love the R2D2 sounds. 20 years old it still sounds unique.

7 -Goon Gumpas
Wouldn't this be nice on Lyric fm. Very pleasant. Nice pizzicato strings.

8 -Yellow Calx
Glitchy madness. Love this one. Again calm music meets abrasive noise. There's a sound in there that always reminds me of Predator .

9 -Girl/Boy Song
Pure Joy. Strings & violence. One of my favourites. Love the breakdown with the Cello.

10 -Logan Rock Witch
That SOH again. Loads going on. The soundtrack to someone going insane.
this album is a lot easier to grasp and massively more enjoyable if you listen with prefuse's comments as a guide

Gave this another listen on the way to work. It's mad to be listening again to Aphex Twin in 2016, last time I would have listened was probably circa mid/late 90s but didn't pick this album up at the time, though mates of mine raved about it then.
I loved Windowlicker, Come to Daddy and the Selected Ambient albums.
Goon Gumpas must have been used as intro music for something- radio show maybe, or would I have heard it on the radio (Donal Dineen maybe?) It's really familiar but I definitely heard it outside of this album.
A few other tracks stick with me, Fingerbib, 4, Carn Marth, Logan Rock Witch, maybe Girl/Boy Song but I have to listen more. Some tracks don't do much for me at all. I like that it's a short album too, doesn't demand too much and doesn't outstay its welcome.
Stuck it on while house cleaning on Saturday and it worked well.

Donal Dineen used to play it a lot. I could never understand his pronunciation of Goon Gumpus so could never find it. Took me ages. It's very very pleasant.

the first time i saw the video for Come on my selector i was blown away with how the video and sound were cut so well together.

Yeah, it's great (the track isn't, but the two together, incredible) Chris Cunningham made some great music videos around that time. According to wikipedia he will make his feature film debut this year. Interested to see what he does, until then let's enjoy a classic.

I listened to it once and couldnt be arsed with a second spin.

He aint no Steve Miller thats for sure

Had this on my drive today. It's more technically impressive than anything else on first listen. Also not great driving music as I nearly fell asleep. I've not heard this album before but more or less knew what to expect. it's not my cuppa tea but it's certainly not rubbish. I can see how people love this.

I was surprised how accessible it was, aside from the beats sometimes going a bit screwy it's mainly pleasant enough. It doesn't do much for me but if this was the first album to sound like this it was certainly influential. There was a phase in the late 90's where every indie band had a bunch of b-sides or one off album tracks that sounded like this album.

There doesn't seem to be much to it though? Is his innovation the skittery beats or is it there just a lot of technical innovation with sampling and stuff?

I don't dislike it but i'm not sure what to do with it. You can't dance to it, you can't sing along, you can't get deep into the lyrics, you can't marvel at the interplay between musicians, you just kind of sit there going "hmmm, interesting".

There doesn't seem to be much to it though? Is his innovation the skittery beats or is it there just a lot of technical innovation with sampling and stuff?
Yeah I don't have the context for this kind of music and I don't understand what goes into it technically for it to be impressive/interesting to me, though some of this album is enjoyable and I don't hate it by any means. It's fine I suppose but that's about all.
I was listening to a lot of what might have been ambient triphop/techno/dance music in the 90s. What I loved about a lot of it was that it was mostly melodic. Maybe I'm thinking more mainstream stuff like The Orb, FSOL or Leftfield but I guess Aphex was pushing against a lot of that. It seems like he wanted to get more "punk" or maybe metal (a lot of my metal head friends liked Aphex Twin) or what have you, and was trying to shake those genres up? I'd like to know a bit more about how what he was doing was perceived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back