Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album (1996) (1 Viewer)

It's a great album but haven't listened to it in a long time- looking forward to diving back in. Tend to only listen to SAW II and the Analord stuff these days, oh and the recent Soundlcoud dump he did of 100s of tracks many of which are AMAZING.

they are phenomenal. been listen to the ambient youtube playlists a good bit. would be great to see an album's worth of those tracks make up SAW 3 sometime . or better still, unreleased ones that are as good. mind boggling to unload so much quality for free online like that. literally 4 or 5 albums worth

First full listen done, really liking it. I even recognise a couple of tunes. More accessible than I was expecting too.

I'm gonna play it on the speakers later..maybe it needs a bit of welly to get me going

This is another new album for me - there's no way I'd have even considered listening to something like this in 1996. It's not exciting me hugely so far. I prefer the more jittery bits as melodically it sounds like standard bedroom electonica to me and a little bit... enya. It crossed my mind when I was listening to this the other day that maybe this behind all these modern day hipsters getting off on enya - do they think that she and this lad are two of a kind?

I think I have this. I can't honestly remember, I know I have a bunch of his albums.
Turns out this is the only Aphex Twin album I don't have (as in albums released under that name, I know he has tons under other names). So far I'm enjoying it, it's a lot better than his last album but not hitting the spot like SAWII, Classics or drukqs (which is my favourite).

a little bit... enya. It crossed my mind when I was listening to this the other day that maybe this behind all these modern day hipsters getting off on enya - do they think that she and this lad are two of a kind?
I hate Enya and like this but totally hear what you mean, those synth strings on "Girl/Boy Song" reek of Enya.

OK, I'm just going to ask this.

What exactly does all the off kilter drumming/ beats bring to this? I realise its absence would be felt in some way, but it frequently feels too intrusive. I don't mind beats at all, I just like them to be in beat.

Or is that the point? The beats coming to the fore, rather than acting as the backbone to the track?

It works well on Girl/Boy.

That style of drum programming was very popular around that time

It was. Here's a track by his buddy Squarepusher from the same year. I love this one. Its weather report with a malfunctioning drum machine.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was. Here's a track by his buddy Squarepusher from the same year. I love this one. Its weather report with a malfunctioning drum machine.

Yeah, it works well there, and even better here I think, where it complements the melody rather than disturbing it.

People like posting slowed down versions of Aphex Twin tracks on You Tube

People like posting slowed down versions of Aphex Twin tracks on You Tube

Unlike other slowed down songs i've heard, none of them do anything for me. It's really frustrating listening to them, especially 4. too slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back