Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album (1996) (4 Viewers)

i've had it on repeat since about 6 a.m. so that's nearly 10 listens

i can still only distinguish two tracks (to cure a weakling child and the last one with all the whistling and boinging) from the general bipping and electronic noodling

tried reactivating my spotify account to listen to this, it won't work. It's trying to tell me something.

when I click the embedded album the spotify application opens and asks me to sign in. I try and it doesn't work. I've check my name and password and I can login to the spotify site. But not the app. Fuck spotify and fuck aphex twin. I'm going to listen to Judge John Hodgman.

tried reactivating my spotify account to listen to this, it won't work. It's trying to tell me something.

when I click the embedded album the spotify application opens and asks me to sign in. I try and it doesn't work. I've check my name and password and I can login to the spotify site. But not the app. Fuck spotify and fuck aphex twin. I'm going to listen to Judge John Hodgman.
You’re missing out on the beats party. It’s getting wild. I’m monged in the k-hole.

Yeah its a pure gurgler...I don't hate it..I am ambivalent.

But I'm sticking with it for the 3 spins

First track surprisingly lovely! Drums are just annoying though, some funkier drums and this would be a total winner

Hmmm

Halfway through listen 1 this dude seems to be able to write a tune, but instead mostly chooses to make kinda vacant intellectual exercises in rhythm and weird sounds. Embrace your humanity, Richard D. James!

Embrace your humanity, Richard D. James!
aphextwinsyro.jpg

i voted for this one.
This was the first Aphex Twin album i bought and i loved it straight away.

Highlights on the album are:
4 is such a great first song with the lovely warm lead synth and contrasting beats. The manic lead synth in Finger bib
All of to cure a weakling child, such a great song. Goon gumpas. Girl/Boy song: Didn't Nigleidybits play this as the last song at one of the Thumped xmas parties.

Also I think Girl/Boy song was used in an Orange TV ad in the 90's

Really?? I'm surprised...given what I perceive to be your usual taste.

This is the first album club record I have no desire to hear more than once.

This is one of my favorite electronic music albums. Aphex at his apex...almost. I don't like everything he has done. I'm not really a fan of his more techno influenced stuff. I have a problem with that 4 to the floor, dump tis, dump tis, dance, techo, rave shite. He doesn't really do that in fairness. But I just hate that obnoxious crap. And I probably have an out dated negative connotation going way back where I associate rave with low grade, sovereign ring wearing scum. I'll have to work on that. Anyway, for me his golden period is, I care because you do, RDJ, Come to daddy ep & windowlicker. Drukqs was good, but unfocussed & hard going in places. Syro I bought but haven't listened to a whole lot.

The thing I've always loved about his music is that dark, slightly disturbing sense of humour. I can also see how it can really annoy people, but I always find myself laughing listening to Aphex. It's that mischievous sense of fun. What I love about IDM (as they call it) in general is just fucking with sound & rhythm. Making it do things it's not supposed to. Some people do dismiss electronic music saying the machines do it all for them.There is a element of truth in that, but IMHO Richard D James is a genuinely talented guy with a unique & imaginative approach to making music. 20 years old this year, the RDJ album has aged very well.

1 -4
I love this tune, beautiful strings & scattershot drums. It's a bit of an M.O. for aphex, serene music and abrasive percussion. Pretty good...yeah.

2 -Cornish Acid
Cool, squelchy synth bass, monstrous kick drum, haunting, dystopian notes in the background. Love it.

3 -Peek 824545201
If you play this for regular people the usual response is "WTF is that shite". I think it's great fun.Puts a smile on my face. Almost makes me nostalgic for dial up internet.

4 -Fingerbib
Quick conventional compared to peek. Very Kraftwerk-esque.
Strong classical influence as well.

5 -Carn Marth
Manic toytown rhythms. It's one of my least favourites on the album but great for annoying people. There's a reason why the public never warmed to drill & bass.

6 -To Cure a Weakling Child
A bit freaky this one. I love the R2D2 sounds. 20 years old it still sounds unique.

7 -Goon Gumpas
Wouldn't this be nice on Lyric fm. Very pleasant. Nice pizzicato strings.

8 -Yellow Calx
Glitchy madness. Love this one. Again calm music meets abrasive noise. There's a sound in there that always reminds me of Predator .

9 -Girl/Boy Song
Pure Joy. Strings & violence. One of my favourites. Love the breakdown with the Cello.

10 -Logan Rock Witch
That SOH again. Loads going on. The soundtrack to someone going insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back