Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album (1996) (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

It's a great album but haven't listened to it in a long time- looking forward to diving back in. Tend to only listen to SAW II and the Analord stuff these days, oh and the recent Soundlcoud dump he did of 100s of tracks many of which are AMAZING.

they are phenomenal. been listen to the ambient youtube playlists a good bit. would be great to see an album's worth of those tracks make up SAW 3 sometime . or better still, unreleased ones that are as good. mind boggling to unload so much quality for free online like that. literally 4 or 5 albums worth

travispickle

First full listen done, really liking it. I even recognise a couple of tunes. More accessible than I was expecting too.

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
I'm gonna play it on the speakers later..maybe it needs a bit of welly to get me going

hiadudiad?

Bodacious Cowboy
Supporter
Solutions
This is another new album for me - there's no way I'd have even considered listening to something like this in 1996. It's not exciting me hugely so far. I prefer the more jittery bits as melodically it sounds like standard bedroom electonica to me and a little bit... enya. It crossed my mind when I was listening to this the other day that maybe this behind all these modern day hipsters getting off on enya - do they think that she and this lad are two of a kind?

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
I think I have this. I can't honestly remember, I know I have a bunch of his albums.
Turns out this is the only Aphex Twin album I don't have (as in albums released under that name, I know he has tons under other names). So far I'm enjoying it, it's a lot better than his last album but not hitting the spot like SAWII, Classics or drukqs (which is my favourite).

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
a little bit... enya. It crossed my mind when I was listening to this the other day that maybe this behind all these modern day hipsters getting off on enya - do they think that she and this lad are two of a kind?
I hate Enya and like this but totally hear what you mean, those synth strings on "Girl/Boy Song" reek of Enya.

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
OK, I'm just going to ask this.

What exactly does all the off kilter drumming/ beats bring to this? I realise its absence would be felt in some way, but it frequently feels too intrusive. I don't mind beats at all, I just like them to be in beat.

Or is that the point? The beats coming to the fore, rather than acting as the backbone to the track?

It works well on Girl/Boy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

We're listening to...

• Womb Sounds To Make Baby Sleep Faster
    Womb Sound With Slow Heartbeat and Slow Pulse (Deep Sleep)
    Womb Sound
    Womb Sounds To Make Baby Sleep Faster

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads