Anyone into African music? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter mark
  • Start date
  • Replies 116
  • Views 15K
  • Watchers 9
ooooh i get it

as in "white-taker-of land resulting in economic and social collapse of an entire continent with reverberations felt worldwide to this day"

yes, yes i see

he's a really good whistler though

Better than the original mate

He does a mean Roxette Joyride as well, and Games without Frontiers

well, i bet he could if he wanted

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ghana funeral field recording: drums of death
mulatu astatke: ethiopiques vol. 4
master musicians of jajouka: apocalypse across the sky
madosini: nozimanga (uthando luphelile dub)
east africa witchcraft and ritual music (nonesuch explorer)
akom, the art of possession
v/a: extreme music from africa

I like the way this thread has gone.

First, a genuine inquiry as to whether people like African music.

Then, as though they couldn't help themselves, two pages worth of "ironic racism is our toy!" postings...soon as I saw the topic title, I knew exactly what I was in for, and who would be posting. Same shite, different thread.

Then, some posts of genuine interest and recommendation. It all came together at last. Nice.

Good to see people come through with ace threads. The "bluff and double bluff irony" threads are never particularly useful (see in particular the "Holly and Jessica" thread from yesterday...what exactly was the point? Not particularly funny, daring in the way putting poo through someone's letterbox at 3am is daring).

As for African music, I couldn't tell you the first thing about it, but I'll certainly track some of those names down on the net.

this looks deadly

MISSISSIPPI RECORDS – THE 5 LP AFRICAN GUITAR BOX
Posted August 13, 2012 by Jefre
5lp.jpeg

The African Guitar Box
Mississippi Records, x5 LP
EJ-003

“5 LP box set of classic African guitar based music recorded between 1951 & 1970. Mostly solo performances with guitar & vocals. The first disc features classic acoustic guitar music from all over the African disporia, with an emphasis on Congolese & Kenyan artists. The second disc has all electric guitar performances with minimal accompaniment on percussion – nothing remotely funk based. The third disc features a mix of acoustic & electric performances. Disc four presents more challenging compositional music on acoustic guitar than found on the previous 3 discs – not easy listening by any means, but very rewarding. The final disc is the most sublime & peaceful acoustic guitar & vocal performances you could ever imagine! Collectors beware – much of this material has been reissued before, albeit not since the early 1980s in very hard to find compilation LPs. The records are housed in a beautiful heavy duty hand made box with a sliding lid on the side. Each box is unique & rugged in it’s own way. The wood used to manufacture the box is all salvaged from the old Mississippi Record store location. The cover is a 2 color silk screen on high quality textured paper, carefully glued to each box. A real labor of love. One time edition only; pressing of 200 copies!”

LP 1 & 2
LP 3, 4 & 5

http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=7456

that looks really interesting shaney. nice one. price is probably through the roof though?

just in response to the general purpose of this thread. last few years i have bought a good few of the comps released on analog africa and soundway records also. the analog africa releases are especially great i think. basically some german dude digs his way around west africa and compiles compilations from different countires/regions. mainly 70s/early 80s psych/funk/fuzz/afrobeat/whatever you wanna call it. really good anyway. in some cases he has rereleased albums by bands from that area and time. one being orchestre poly rhythmo de cotonou who played festival of world cultures in dun laoghaire a few years back and were fuckin' deadly.

soundway seem to operate on a bigger scale but from what comps i have of them, they are also well worth looking into.

i used to always be completely disinterested by african or afrobeat music, jumping to the conclusion that it was boring, samey and repetitive. which is an awful generalisation about a whole continent's music. how wrong i was.

from that area and time. one being orchestre poly rhythmo de cotonou who played festival of world cultures in dun laoghaire a few years back and were fuckin' deadly.

One of my top-10 of all time gigs was a band called Afromania at the FOWC about 5 years ago. I think they were Africans living in Dublin. I think they'd only just started as they'd argue and mess up getting tunes going but when they did they'd, knock out 30 minutes of insane soukous groove at a time. In front of about 8 people. Who were all going ballistic dancing by the end.

Never found much decent recorded soukous thus far. A lot of it is over-produced a la Kanda Bongo Man. That African shop near the Ha'Penny Bridge used to blast out great stuff but when I asked them could I buy the CD playing or something similar, what they gave me wasn't great. They weren't particularly friendly either so I never went back.

Never found much decent recorded soukous thus far. A lot of it is over-produced a la Kanda Bongo Man. That African shop near the Ha'Penny Bridge used to blast out great stuff but when I asked them could I buy the CD playing or something similar, what they gave me wasn't great. They weren't particularly friendly either so I never went back.

I was mad into this stuff for a few years and I sympathise. Tracking down the good stuff is really hard because there is so much shite. Particularly when they all moved to Paris in the 80's and started replacing the horn sections with synths. Anyway, this one is without a doubt one of the greatest records I own.

wemba.jpg

I bought it in a deadly record shop in Amsterdam. However, I must have something like 10-15 Wemba albums and about 10 of them are rubbish. I wouldn't completely rule out Kanda Bongo Man though. He was in Zaiko Langa Langa and they were really good.

I was mad into this stuff for a few years and I sympathise. Tracking down the good stuff is really hard because there is so much shite. Particularly when they all moved to Paris in the 80's and started replacing the horn sections with synths. Anyway, this one is without a doubt one of the greatest records I own.

I bought it in a deadly record shop in Amsterdam. However, I must have something like 10-15 Wemba albums and about 10 of them are rubbish. I wouldn't completely rule out Kanda Bongo Man though. He was in Zaiko Langa Langa and they were really good.

Indeed, the reason I got into it was seeing John Peel enthusing about Kanda Bongo Man during BBC's Glastonbury coverage years ago. I remember they showed a shot of him bopping in the crowd with a lovely smile on his face. KBM, I imagine would be deadly live.
I'll get a hold of that album above anyway, this thread has put me in the mood for it.

As an aside, I wonder with all the Africans in Dublin do they have gigs that the mainstream music community wouldn't know about? To make a comparison, I saw Vanessa da Mata, one of the biggest stars in Brazil, a few weeks ago at a packed Academy. The only place you could buy tickets was in those small Brazilian food shops. There was about 5 Paddies there. Awesome show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back