Anyone have any old family photos taken in Dublin? (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Hi folks,
as you may already know I'm doing a book on Dublin in the rare auld times. I'm on the hunt for images of Dublin and Dubliners from about 1980 and earlier, preferably ones that haven't been published before. My family are all from Ulster so we have few photos taken in Dublin. Do any of you have Dublin parents or grandparents and would you (and your families of course) be willing to allow me to publish old family photos? Things I'm looking for include; sports events, people working, other leisure activities, big events, photos with identifiable landmarks of Dublin, photos clearly showing house interiors back in the day, really all sorts of stuff, the older the better. It's an attempt to show the many ways people have lived in Dublin city and county down the years.
Thanks.

There is countless albums of these type of photos in my parents house.

Unlike me and my generation though they have little desire to make their private photos public...so I wouldnt even ask them

There is countless albums of these type of photos in my parents house.

Unlike me and my generation though they have little desire to make their private photos public...so I wouldnt even ask them
What he said I'm afraid. My parents would just look at me in disgust and tell me they were none of anyone else's business. For me Family photo's should be just that, family only.

Good luck with it I can see what you're trying to do but I'd say you might be in for an uphill slog there particularly when faced with the Camera Lucida aspect of family photos.

I think it depends on the person really. Also, really old photos tend not to have too much memory tied to them. I just thought I'd give it a shot. In our old photo albums there are plenty of pics that don't have any of us in them, just random stupid shit people took pics of like say St Patrick's Day parades and what not but none of the photos are that old and the older pics are from down the country. I was thinking along the lines of stuff like that rather than say wedding photos or whatnot. People often take pics of their new car or what have you too.

I think it depends on the person really. Also, really old photos tend not to have too much memory tied to them. I just thought I'd give it a shot. In our old photo albums there are plenty of pics that don't have any of us in them, just random stupid shit people took pics of like say St Patrick's Day parades and what not but none of the photos are that old and the older pics are from down the country. I was thinking along the lines of stuff like that rather than say wedding photos or whatnot. People often take pics of their new car or what have you too.

i had cause to look over some old photos over the last week and almost all of them involved relations of mine posing in gardens. is that something that's particular to my family?

probably related to the availability / cost of flash photography for indoor use back in the day?

Just remembered flash cubes.

Flashcube_on_Kodak_Instamatic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back