Any good podcasts about? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 224
  • Views 19K
  • Watchers 6
Ha. I just listened to them all over the last few days. Then I listened to the Slate review of the podcast podcast. And then I looked it up on reddit and wished I'd been able to resist that urge :(
I've pretty much avoided all talk about it except the show itself. I want to hear the facts as the show tells them, not as other people investigate it. Especially anyone from Reddit.

I get uncomfortable tones of this lady playing Nancy Drew. Like it's not real people's lives, but a parlour game writ large for her.
She's all excited after finding some witness and can't understand why the guy serving life in a maximum security facility isn't cock-a-hoop for her.
And the last episode she's explaining how worried she is that it might all end and she won't know the truth.
Like that's the worst outcome here.

In fairness, the lady from the Innocence Project was kind of similarly blase.

after the first few episodes I was all like "i'm not even going to look at a picture of any of these people until the series is over" and then yesterday I was on Jay's facebook page.

after the first few episodes I was all like "i'm not even going to look at a picture of any of these people until the series is over" and then yesterday I was on Jay's facebook page.

I went looking for photos, then stopped myself.

Part of what makes it an engaging mystery is that it's teenagers, the world's most unreliable narrators. You never know who's telling the truth.

I get uncomfortable tones of this lady playing Nancy Drew. Like it's not real people's lives, but a parlour game writ large for her.
She's all excited after finding some witness and can't understand why the guy serving life in a maximum security facility isn't cock-a-hoop for her.
And the last episode she's explaining how worried she is that it might all end and she won't know the truth.
Like that's the worst outcome here.

In fairness, the lady from the Innocence Project was kind of similarly blase.

I know what you mean but she brings that up all the time herself though? Like, she's well aware of it. At least she isn't pretending that she is only invested in the crime in some faux-objective, just reporting the facts ma'am, kind of way.

And in a way, that is the worst outcome; the guy is already doing life, if she doesn't do the show his situation doesn't change.

Maybe the tone is a bit blasé considering it's about a murder though, i'll grant you that.

Last edited:
I know what you mean but she brings that up all the time herself though? Like, she's well aware of it. At least she isn't pretending that she is only invested in the crime in some faux-objective, just reporting the facts ma'am, kind of way.

And in a way, that is the worst outcome; the guy is already doing life, if she doesn't do the show his situation doesn't change.

Well apart from dredging this up for everyone involved, including the girl's parents I'd have thought.
And the older boyfriend. Even the streaker.
Actually, I'd like to know what happened to him.
Maybe that could be the next season.

Well apart from dredging this up for everyone involved, including the girl's parents I'd have thought.
And the older boyfriend. Even the streaker.
Actually, I'd like to know what happened to him.
Maybe that could be the next season.

I guess. People are clearly willing to talk though, I'm not sure I'm willing to get outraged on their behalf quite yet.

Now if the season ends with her basically revealing a bunch of extra facts from the trial (which seem to happen every episode) that clearly show yer man to be guilty I'll be well pissed off.

I guess. People are clearly willing to talk though, I'm not sure I'm willing to get outraged on their behalf quite yet.

Now if the season ends with her basically revealing a bunch of extra facts from the trial (which seem to happen every episode) that clearly show yer man to be guilty I'll be well pissed off.

Well, she had that episode where she laid out the entire case against him. So there better fecking not be.
She is definitely trickling out the facts to suit her dramatic narrative alright though.
She seems to be trying to convey that see-saw feeling she has herself. It was this guy. No, it was that guy! Wait, no. It was the first guy. And so on.

I've pretty much avoided all talk about it except the show itself. I want to hear the facts as the show tells them, not as other people investigate it. Especially anyone from Reddit.

yup. the slate spoiler specials are fine. work as another fix for the Friday. they base their content solely on the podcast content and not whats on reddit or other forums. have also intentionally avoided reddit etc.

apparently so yeah. former classmates etc apparently posting info about people involved and the likes. having avoided it, not sure exactly what guff they're on about

apparently so yeah. former classmates etc apparently posting info about people involved and the likes. having avoided it, not sure exactly what guff they're on about

As an aside it showed me that parents have about zero idea of what their teenagers are up to.
Seems like they're all doing drugs and having sex. And these are the supposed 'good' kids.

Kermode & Mayo
Richard Herring Leiceter Square podcast
Daily Bacon (richard bacons podcast)
WTF with Marc Maron
Science Weekly (guardian science podcast, can be a bit boring)
Real time with Bill Maher (bit of a nob but covers us politics)
BBFC (british board of film classification talking about movies and how they rate stuff)

and around 10 football podcasts.

Gotta ask, is anyone listening to Serial? I'm only about 4 eps in as of this morning, so behind the curve.

Gotta ask, is anyone listening to Serial? I'm only about 4 eps in as of this morning, so behind the curve.

I think we have discussed it here a bit.

I am halfway through yesterday's episode. I'm enjoying it.

It was all over Twitter yesterday, on my feed anyway. Everyone has a theory.

I think we have discussed it here a bit.

I am halfway through yesterday's episode. I'm enjoying it.

It was all over Twitter yesterday, on my feed anyway. Everyone has a theory.
It feels a little like it's starting to slip or something though. I can hear the pressure of it becoming too big too fast. Still great though, OBVIOUSLY

@jonah read the thread already ffs

It feels a little like it's starting to slip or something though.

It's getting a bit meta with people contacting her because they've heard the show.
There's a backlash coming. I can see Slate doing a number on it.

I am finding it more difficult to get away from the idea that she is not looking for justice, but trying to figure out a puzzle.
That all these people are just like so many NY Times crossword clues to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back