Any good podcasts about? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 224
  • Views 19K
  • Watchers 6
how common is it to have to pay for podcasts? and generally what is the going rate?
do they try to get people as monthly subscribers or what?

I pay a fiver a month for a couple of things. For Second Captains their Monday content is free but you get the rest of the week via their patreon.

Another one I pay patreon for a website I've been reading for years. When they launched a payment model they said they'd keep the existing content they produce for free and then subscribers would get extra content on top of that. I don't really use the extra content but I subscribe to support the site anyway.

On that note, I must see if I need to renew my thumped membership.

how common is it to have to pay for podcasts? and generally what is the going rate?
do they try to get people as monthly subscribers or what?
The Patreon model has suited a lot of independent podcasts (not without some serious problems though, they've fucked over people in the past), but a lot of the bigger, corporate led, podcasts are increasingly behind paywalls. Whether it's a Spotify subscription or podcast-specific apps like Stitcher that have premium tiers... and of course so many of the new celeb-led podcasts are flashy and tightly edited, but empty of anything worthwhile. Same old story in all honesty.

I haven't listened to one in ages, but I've found Esther Perel's "Where should we begin?" podcasts really illuminating. She's a sex therapist, and each podcast is a(n edited) real-life couples therapy session. It made me realise that I know nothing about other people's relationships - I don't talk to even my closest friends about their marriages (at least not until after they've gotten divorced) and especially not about their sex lives. It's mad that we're all in couples, but none of us know anything about the internal workings of any couple except for the one we're in

I haven't listened to one in ages, but I've found Esther Perel's "Where should we begin?" podcasts really illuminating. She's a sex therapist, and each podcast is a(n edited) real-life couples therapy session. It made me realise that I know nothing about other people's relationships - I don't talk to even my closest friends about their marriages (at least not until after they've gotten divorced) and especially not about their sex lives. It's mad that we're all in couples, but none of us know anything about the internal workings of any couple except for the one we're in
and long may it continue.

Just listened to a mad episode of "The Moral Maze" on the radio. It is available as a podcast. available on the bbc website or wherever you get your podcasts.

The question was something along the lines of "is there a moral argument for re-opening nightclubs now?"

It got pretty nuts. There is such a huge gap in perception between the people who wanted to rave responsibly and the CoE vicar or the classical music fan. They're all intelligent people, but these people just did not understand each other at the end.

Personally I've no interest in nightclubs.

In other news, Dr. Buckles has a show on Sunday afternoon. I forget what it's about, who cares though, it's Buckles.

Really enjoying this limited series podcast

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Like every couple of months they pick a major hit in some form, do a context and oral history on it, and it's really insightful

Kind of all over the map though - and you kind of have to give a bit of a shit about AMerican culture and what they send out into the world
  • The Twilight movie series (was wary AF but it was fucking brilliant btw)
  • How To Pimp A Butterfly (heartbreaking at times)
  • FIght Club (everything is fine til the bros show up)
  • Pokemon (haven't listened, don't care about teh topic, but will go in on faith)

this is an interesting listen; basically how japan designs their town centres. i'd heard before that you need to prove you've a private parking spot before you're allowed buy a car, but this goes into more detail.

Been listening to a few episodes of To Here Knows When: Great Irish Albums Revisited. I like the idea and I like that it's done quite deadpan but man, some of these chats could do with a good edit.
I also listened to Dan Hegarty's show about Kerbdog's On The Turn, similar vibe. My take aways from that are that it isn't as good as the first album and that I don't like the drumming.

Well this year's Christmas drunk purchases appear to have been less Discogs and more Ko-Fi and Patreon subscriptions. Looking forward to the next Chart Music.

i'd not been aware of this story before - during WWII, there was an industrial action by the main musician's union in the states which closed all recording studios for over two years, coinciding with the birth of bebop.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3rd series of the empire podcast ive mostly listened to 2nd series about the ottoman empire which was pretty good including an episode about the smallpox vaccine an english woman found about from women working in Turkish baths some battle descriptions like the fall of byzantine. Not bad about an hour long episodes.

this is a good listen - i'd never heard of the specific incident the podcast episode is based on. in general, it's about are and authenticity.

I've been enjoying You Must Remember This. It's a podcast that tells fascinating stories about the history of Hollywood. The presenter is a film fanatic and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the film industry. I first listened to a series of episodes on the Disney movie Song of the South and now I'm listening to their recent series on the "erotic" films of the 90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back