Ant craziness (1 Viewer)

fuck you guys, ants rule:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So have they all died or what? I dont see any today? Ah ephemeral ants, why dost ye desert us so..I only miss them now they're gone...their chubby clumsiness was so endearing compared to the usual regimented busyness of your common garden variety.

cToday's paper said:
Swarms of flying ants signify arrival of the summer of love

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0724/1216741027971.html

TIM O'BRIEN
SWARMS OF flying ants, which have been observed in recent days, are merely engaging in their annual mating rituals and do not represent a danger to people, according to a Trinity College Dublin entomologist.
Sightings of large numbers of the common black garden ant - or Lasius Niger - have been reported in the Dublin area in particular, although experts say their prevalence depends on localised weather conditions.
The ants have disturbed the tranquillity of parks and gardens in the capital and elsewhere.
There have even been reports on an internet discussion board of them causing people to flee Bushy Park in Terenure, south Dublin, in an excited fashion on Monday evening.
People should rest assured, however, that the ants are less interested in humans at this time than in each other, Dr Mark Brown of Trinity College's zoology department has pointed out.
The ants have suddenly begun mating because of a recent rise in temperature coupled with an increase in humidity, he explained. The males, indeed, have been waiting some weeks for the opportunity provided by the emergence of the females now that weather conditions are right.
The swarms occur when the male and female ants conjugate. Eventually the females will drop to the ground when tired of conjugating - it would be unusual if they mated with more than three partners - and break off their wings before seeking somewhere comfortable to nest, explained Dr Brown.
The female will take part in the ritual just once in her lifetime, but will retain sperm in her body, releasing it on an annual basis when she lays fertilised eggs. Over her lifetime she can have between 1,000 and 10,000 offspring.
The future for the males after the ritual mating swarm is not so rosy, however, as they waste away and die within a few days.
"Like bees, I am afraid the males are little more than flying receptacles for sperm," said Dr Brown.
Asked if there was a way the society of ants could be avoided - particularly indoors - Dr Brown said the best way to stop them getting into a house was simply to block up their access routes.
"There was a famous entomologist called Ed Wilson who was asked what he would do if ants got into his house.
"He replied 'I would watch them', which I think is good advice - they are fascinating," he added.
Those who have been bothered by the ants in recent days should take comfort from an assurance by Dr Karl Magnacca, a colleague of Dr Brown's at Trinity College.
He said swarms that last a day or two are very unlikely to occur in the same place twice.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0724/1216741027887.html

So have they all died or what? I dont see any today? Ah ephemeral ants, why dost ye desert us so..I only miss them now they're gone...their chubby clumsiness was so endearing compared to the usual regimented busyness of your common garden variety.

no, its their do be riding day. The small ones climb up on the winged-ones, ride them, then the winged ones land, shed their wings, then go make a nest where they stay til they pop sprogs. Then they do be the queen and the babies to be the drones.

It wasn't so bad this year. Some years you can't move for the fuckers, then pop, they're gone without trace. This year there was only several thousand handfuls.

jane, keep the mouth open. Flying ants are very rich in protein. Very good for you.

And I'm itchy as fuck too. I've a big bastard of a bite on the back of my leg and my hair feels like its moving.

I :heart: Thumped! Every year! It's like Christmas!

- 'flants', check
- Simpsons joke, check
- Look Around You joke, check
- Armageddon joke, check
- Sensible explanation for phenomenon, check

That's a wrap chaps. Well done. See yis next summer!

EDIT: Speaking of which, does anyone want to help me make a Kevin Myers Column Generator? Since we're all about to lose our jobs in the recession, we'll need something to keep us occupied when we're not fighting in the streets.

copyright j Raz 2008.

I wont have my concept stolen by a woman and a foreigner. much like the lives of the brave 'lost generation' the survivors of whom returned home to find jerry adams dressing as a horny black man giving their mother aids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back