Amps (2 Viewers)

Thumbs up on the a/b test.
It sounds as shit or as good as any other amp I own at bedroom volume anyway - good enough for my shit anyway basically

Attachments

• 4A5DCF82-3D76-4BA7-A0C4-5583AB3A9F35.jpeg
    4A5DCF82-3D76-4BA7-A0C4-5583AB3A9F35.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
Sweet! I'm selling some amps soon or at least trying to and maybe just get a nice small sold state power amp thingy that huge and heavy
This yoke looks cool - pricey though.
Might get one 2nd hand??

This yoke looks cool - pricey though.
Might get one 2nd hand??

Some price! I reckon if I can pick up an Orange Pedal baby secondhand I'd be happy enough with that

Been eyeing up this for handy portable public transport rig. From my reading it has the Icepower 700as power amp same as the Dark Glass amps. I've a few nice preamps in pedal format so not too concerned about the front end. It's €329 with free shipping and the power amp separately would cost me €269 plus shipping so seems like a good deal.

I'd probably use it in my dual rig too for the clean low side with valves on the mids/high dirty side.

And of course I'd strip in down and do a custom paint job on the front panel.

Been eyeing up this for handy portable public transport rig. From my reading it has the Icepower 700as power amp same as the Dark Glass amps. I've a few nice preamps in pedal format so not too concerned about the front end. It's €329 with free shipping and the power amp separately would cost me €269 plus shipping so seems like a good deal.

I'd probably use it in my dual rig too for the clean low side with valves on the mids/high dirty side.

Some power

Some power

Everyone I've ever spoken to about Class D for bass say you need at least 500 watts. Obviously for Mosfet solid state or valves you need a lot less. I'd also want to play it safe as if I use it in Wild Rocket it needs to compete with two pretty loud drummers.

Everyone I've ever spoken to about Class D for bass say you need at least 500 watts. Obviously for Mosfet solid state or valves you need a lot less. I'd also want to play it safe as if I use it in Wild Rocket it needs to compete with two pretty loud drummers.

the 200W for guitar is very loud...proper road test with drummer on sat...pretty happy with the poke out of it.

In the tail end of my bass days i'd just use the house PA direct because you kinda need 2 - 3000watts to communicate with bass.

Which is ok when you have 6 monitors that can project over two very loud drummers but in my case everyone on stage needs to hear me pretty well so amps on stage always. I do DI and/or mic for the FOH stuff. Smaller rooms will be a combo of stage volume and PA of course, as you know of course.

oh absolutely - was not disagreeing with you on the higher W for bass, just more commenting that my continuing experiment with the Warrick one has ticked the 'loud enough, yeah?' box...

Ah yeah. I can get away with single drummer and my old HH 100 watt heads on bass. Atm I use the HH for clean bottom and Sound City 120 for the dirt so about 220 -250 altogether with two 1x15 cabs with Emi Kappas with 100.5 dB sensitivity. Proper cabs too in the Thiele design too.

Actually the lower cab is oversized, tuned lower and darker and I use the Kappa LF in that.

I'm not even that big a nerd on this stuff I just ended up with the cabs second hand and fucked the two speakers that came with so had to replace so tried to pick some that wouldn't get blown by me being a dope.

This is on it's way to me.

Did a deal/swap for this today - Vox pathfinder 15r. Haven’t given it a proper road test, but first impressions are good. There’s a lot of raving about these on the guitar nerd sites..
View attachment 16744

2nd impressions after 20mins playing.
Fuck. Yeah.
for a simple solid state amp, driving a 8'' speaker it sounds incredible. loads of bass at bedroom vol.
Nary a digital modelling bollix in sight, just a nice trem and basic reverb.
dirty channel is so-so (there's only so much you can expect out of a low watt ss amp with an 8'' speaker), clean is incredible.

2nd impressions after 20mins playing.
Fuck. Yeah.
for a simple solid state amp, driving a 8'' speaker it sounds incredible. loads of bass at bedroom vol.
Nary a digital modelling bollix in sight, just a nice trem and basic reverb.
dirty channel is so-so (there's only so much you can expect out of a low watt ss amp with an 8'' speaker), clean is incredible.

Nice work. I've been keeping an eye out for one of these. Would love to give one a try.

Poker.jpeg

So I've got 2 of these Poker amps gathering dust. I've always liked the look of them, but they don't sound very good. They're a 60w solid state amp from around 1979 with a 10" speaker. What should I do with them? I've toyed with making them into speaker cabs, or rehousing a different amp internally, but I'm not sure if that makes financial sense. Thoughts?

View attachment 16773

So I've got 2 of these Poker amps gathering dust. I've always liked the look of them, but they don't sound very good. They're a 60w solid state amp from around 1979 with a 10" speaker. What should I do with them? I've toyed with making them into speaker cabs, or rehousing a different amp internally, but I'm not sure if that makes financial sense. Thoughts?

I'd try a new speaker. That's not knowing what's in there. Can you tap it out to a different cab to hear if it would improve things? Also have you had any look finding a schematic, might be some mods to improve things in the amp. Is there an effects loop?

View attachment 16773

presuming its a keyboard or 'instrument' amp rather than a guitar one?

+ 1 on mooses suggestion of trying with a different speaker/cap if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back