Amp fix help (1 Viewer)

I have two tube amps and it occurred to me that I haven't had them serviced in a long time. They're going fine but I wonder if they need a regular check up?

it'd do them no harm, but well built amps can go years without any issues. What kind of tubes do your amps run? and how hard/loud do you run the amps?

it'd do them no harm, but well built amps can go years without any issues. What kind of tubes do your amps run? and how hard/loud do you run the amps?
One ( Fender Blues Deville with original tubes as far as I know) gets fairly regular use but never at mad volumes. The other(Peavey Tweed Classic 30-) rarely gets used

I know sfa about amps, but my Laney died the other week anytime I used an od pedal on the drive channel.

I took it to Jimi and he said the VC30 tubes are on '10' no matter what volume you are at. Should be replaced every 2 years with regular use. This amp was going on 8 years of semi-use and had never been looked at so it was probably due.

4 new tubes and a service set me back €110 and he had it ready in 2 days. Top fellla is Jimi, I'm just never sure when our conversation is over.

I took it to Jimi and he said the VC30 tubes are on '10' no matter what volume you are at. Should be replaced every 2 years with regular use.

I've only replaced tubes when they needed replacing. I've definitely had tubes for 10+years. One of my amps had the original tubes in it when I got it,20+years old,and then lasted a few years of me not knowing what I was doing.

@chris d Yeah, EL84s run at 100% whether the amp is running hard or not. While 6L6s and EL34s - found most frequently in Fender and Marshall type amps - only work as hard as you push the amp. I used Marshals for years and only ever had tubes go once, but the last few years I've been all about the EL84 amps, and they fairly go through the tubes. They're not the expensive though, and to my ears sound really great.

As @moose says though, if it aint broke....

The other night at practice my Fender Blues Deluxe started doing odd things.

A few times it was as if someone hand banged against it causing the reverb plate (or spring) to make that awful clanging sound, but nobody had. And the pilot light "on" led flickered and went off a few times. But the amp satyed on.

So is the bulb in the pilot light fucked, do we have a poltergeist or all of the above?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
It's broke now. Last night at a gig I realised the high pitched whine everyone was giving out about was coming from my amp.

I've tried tapping on them to identify which are causing the problem and I "think" it might be two of them...but perhaps it's time to give Martin a call.

Took it to Martin. I'll ask him which ones he replaced and see if they're the ones I suspected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back