Album Of The Year 2013 (1 Viewer)

First listen to the new Giuda is pretty good,a little bit more Gary Glitter to the first records Suzi Quatro. But that's fine with me.

I've only heard Tiger Woman so far and it seemed a bit too 'rawk' but I will still be getting get it

1 Ducktails - The Flower Lane
2 Widowspeak - Almanac
3 Pure Bathing Culture - Moon Tides
4 Phoenix - Bankrupt
5 Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty
6 Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito
7 Shigeto - No better time than now
8 Umberto - Confrontations
9 Daft Punk - Random access memories
10 Solar Bears - Supermigration

I bought the MBV album and barely listened to it...so far.

Last edited:
Boards of Canada, Factory Floor, I Am The Cosmos, Solar Bears and the Umberto record were all stand outs for me. John Grants album was my absolute favourite and one of the best new albums I've heard in years.

Favourite soundtracks were:
Gravity - Steven Price
A Field In England - Jim Williams (with that amazing Blanck Mass track)
Only God Forgives - Cliff Martinez
Maniac - Rob

Favourite soundtrack reissues:
The Fog (Death Waltz) - John Carpenter with artwork by Dinos Chapman
Day Of The Dead - John Harrison (Waxwork)
The Wicker Man - Paul Giovanni (Silva Screen)
Last House On The Left - David Hess (One Way Static)

I've been meaning to get the Arctic Monkeys album.
Been previewing the Arcade Fire album on iTunes, I don't have any of their other albums but I like the style of this one.

albums from this year that i bought/liked:

ulaan passerine - ulaan passerine
mountains - centralia
my bloody valentine - mbv
savages - silence yourself
nic tvg - then i disappear
the dead c - armed courage

was harping on about the justin walters album earlier here. found this footage online earlier. this tune is a great reflection of the great album

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

as wimpy as Ghost? I'm down with that

I loved that first Ghost album. Had it on repeat for months. Still one of my favourites. Haven't been able to get into the 2nd one. Zombie queen's a deadly tune, the rest of it's kind of lacking in energy. I think it's a bit overproduced.

Gonna wait until December before I post up albums of the year

I got the two albums at the same time so I approach them as a single entity..I get there is a difference but it's not a big thing for me
I know some people, people whose names rhyme with Marry for instance will disagree but I get strong hints of 70s Alice Cooper and BOC off them--along with the alarmingly emo /MTV/modern vocals. Alarming because I find myself liking it

My 3 favourite things/albums from this year are;

Girls Names - The New Life
Courtney Barnett - Double EP thing
Lady Lamb the Beekeeper - Ripley Pine

other notables (mostly listed alphabetically cos I'm reading them from my ipod);

Bill Callahan - Dream River
Paul McCartney - NEW
Belle and Sebastian - The 3rd Eye Center
Blondes - Swisher
Braids - Flourish/Perish
Caitlin Rose - The Stand-in
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone - In Cambridge
Dan Deacon - America (think that was this year)
Deerhunter - Monomania
Edwyn Collins - Understated
Factory Floor - Factory Floor
I am the Cosmos - Monochrome (possibly the end of last year)
James Yorkston - I was a cat from a book
John Roberts - Fences
Johnny Marr - The Messenger
Julia Holter - Loud City Song
Low - The Invisible Way
Matthew E White - Big Inner
Merchandise - Totale Night
Midlake - Antiphon
Mount Kimbie - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth
Prefab Sprout - Crimson/Red
Ryan Francesconi & Miribai Pert - Road to Palios
Tim Hecker - Virgins

I bought loads of stuff this year and while it wasn't a great year overall I reckon the above are at least a bit decent. I bought a tone of other stuff that just wasn't that good or that I'm still trying to figure out if its good or not (eg: the knife).

Edit: Oh and I loved that Laurel Halo album too.

I got the two albums at the same time so I approach them as a single entity..I get there is a difference but it's not a big thing for me
I know some people, people whose names rhyme with Marry for instance will disagree but I get strong hints of 70s Alice Cooper and BOC off them--along with the alarmingly emo /MTV/modern vocals. Alarming because I find myself liking it

yeah, I think the vocals on the first album are great. And the whole thing has a great scooby doo being chased around a haunted mansion feel to it. If you picture that every time you listen to the album you'll grow to love it

. I bought a tone of other stuff that just wasn't that good or that I'm still trying to figure out if its good or not (eg: the knife).

I figured it out. It's really good and you love it.

You're welcome.

Also, I love monomania too. The year started off week musically but has been getting steadily better

I actually do hear a bit of Blue Oyster Cult in the first record,they just don't do it well. Any band with a dose of Blue Oyster Cult and Mercyful Fate should be a contender for best band ever,unfortunately Ghost fall short everywhere.

Don't hear any Alice Cooper in them though.

Are we talking about the Japanese band Ghost here, or some other lot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back