Airbnb (1 Viewer)

Ah, way more than that. More like 70 or 80, I'd have thought.
But how much of that is Revenue taking?

If the B&B is a limited company I imagine then it'd be charged at the corporation tax rate and if the owner would be charged tax on their wages/drawings, if it's run as a sole trader you'd pay income tax based on how much profit you make, your profit essentially being your salary.

Top rate of tax + USC @ 7% and PRSI @ 4%. Same as you'd pay on every extra € in your regular salary.

One thing that confuses me, if someone is in the lower tax band but was in a position to airbnb a room now and again and that income doesn't put them into a higher band would they still pay the 51 or would it be lower band plus the extras? And if they were charged 51 initially could they claim it back when they do their self assessment at the end of the year?

If the B&B is a limited company I imagine then it'd be charged at the corporation tax rate and if the owner would be charged tax on their wages/drawings, if it's run as a sole trader you'd pay income tax based on how much profit you make, your profit essentially being your salary.
This is what I expected more.
You're maybe paying cleaners to come in, you're buying towels and all sorts of gear. Furniture maybe.
Gotta be some write offs there.

As an individual, if your gross income is €33,800 or less it's 20% + 7% + 4%, then 40% + 7% + 5% on everything over that. Obviously more complicated if you're not single

One thing that confuses me, if someone is in the lower tax band but was in a position to airbnb a room now and again and that income doesn't put them into a higher band would they still pay the 51 or would it be lower band plus the extras? And if they were charged 51 initially could they claim it back when they do their self assessment at the end of the year?

I don't think you'd pay anything on the additional income until the self assessment form goes in, then you get a bill for any outstanding tax.

This is what I expected more.
You're maybe paying cleaners to come in, you're buying towels and all sorts of gear. Furniture maybe.
Gotta be some write offs there.

Yeah, all of that should be expensible. And notionally an airbnber should be able to write those off too once they get their tax affairs in order. Like if you're renting a room for 60, but it's costing you 40 to rent it then you should only pay tax on the 20. But if you can't support the argument that you've got expenses then the tax man will hit you on everything you take in

But what will likely happen is that people will decide it's not worth the hassle to do the forms etc.

How It Works For Me
I rent the whole house. I rent it out for about €500 a day depending on the time of year. What I then do is find myself a house on Airbnb that is either in the countryside or in another country and rent that. This is where the arbertage bit comes in.

As you can see in the example below I found just as nice a house that is only about 100km away and which is only €40 per night. By moving a little down the road I am able to make a €400 profit per night and slip that in to the mortgage kitty. Do that 10 nights a month and you have a very compelling argument.

And an interesting chat with the tax man to look forward to.

Airbnb Arbitrage - How To Pay Off Your Mortgage In Half The Time - Lovin Trends

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back