airblade appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Kid Lovebeach

Website
nickthinks.wordpress.com
dyson_airblade-1.jpg

jamesdysonsw5.jpg

YEAH! AIRBLADE!

i thought the hoover was good, non?

it depends on what you mean by good. he has managed to build a cult around a not so radical innovation i.e. cyclonic suction. This, at the end of the day, is a different way of sucking up dust.

being a pedant.... "hoover" is a brand name of a comany that manufactures vacuum cleaners.

The whole marketing spin on "no loss of suction" is also misleading - i.e not really true.

I also think the products are ugly.

the orange dyson he sold in japan or wherever in the eighties looked better. granted its not a wheel, or sliced bread. i do like the idea of improving on stuff through some sort of lateral thinking. most companies would happily massivley churn out identikit bag based ones for all time if dyson hadnt been so good at marketing. pre-dyson the main thing that sold a hoover was how big motor they could fit in into it. now they have to actually look at the rest of the thing and sort that out.

the orange dyson he sold in japan or wherever in the eighties looked better. granted its not a wheel, or sliced bread. i do like the idea of improving on stuff through some sort of lateral thinking. most companies would happily massivley churn out identikit bag based ones for all time if dyson hadnt been so good at marketing. pre-dyson the main thing that sold a hoover was how big motor they could fit in into it. now they have to actually look at the rest of the thing and sort that out.

don't get me wrong.. the innovation is important and Dyson has done it well but I still think this is different to good design.

I still think the way he has moved himself onto the Forbes rich list says a lot about him and his marketing skills.

His process of developing the cyclone vacuum cleaner involved registering over 5000 patents and 10 years of marketing and development. I remember reading that the previous innovation in the vacuum cleaner sector was the introduction of disposable bags. This introduction of disposable bags was seen as an innovation by the market because people wanted to do away with the inconvenience of manual emptying of the cleaner - one of the very things that the dyson cleaner changes.

the moral of the story... consumers with lots of money are a fickle bunch and you can sell them any old crap as long as you know the techniques.

This introduction of disposable bags was seen as an innovation by the market because people wanted to do away with the inconvenience of manual emptying of the cleaner - one of the very things that the dyson cleaner changes

thats comical, 'its now so convenieint that you have to go to vacumn shop every few months to buy bags to ensure it keeps functioning' - technically people are renting the functionality of the vacumn from whoever sells the bags.. i'd agree that it looks terrible. its basically just the endoskeleton painted isnt it.

was just thinking of vespa's there as something that look quite good, interesting little back story.

wikipedia said:
D'Ascanio, who hated motorbikes, designed a revolutionary vehicle. It was built on a spar-frame with a handlebar gear change, and the engine mounted directly on to the rear wheel. The front protection "shield" kept the rider dry and clean in comparison to the open front end on motorcycles. The pass-through leg area design was geared towards all user groups, including women, as wearing dresses or skirts made riding a motorcycle a challenge. The front fork, like an aircraft's landing gear, allowed for easy wheel changing. The internal mesh transmission eliminated the standard motorcycle chain, a source of oil, dirt, and aesthetic misery. This basic design allowed a series of features to be deployed on the frame, which would later allow quick development of new models.
However, D'Ascanio had a falling-out with Innocenti, who rather than a molded and beaten spar-frame wanted to produce his Innocenti frame from rolled tubing, thereby allowing him to revive both parts of his pre-War company. D'Ascanio disassociated himself with Innocenti, and took his design to Enrico Piaggio to produce the spar-framed Vespa from 1946.[2] Innocenti, after overcoming design difficulties and later production difficulties through his choice of a tubular frame, went on to produce the more costly Lambretta line of motorscooters

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back