Air Fryer (1 Viewer)

Cooking smells are what makes a house smell like a home. Our house smells yum

I don't think headline power rating on a fan oven versus airfryer tells you anything about efficiency. That's only how much power you'll use if you're running the thing at full belt continuously - all else being equal a higher power just means the air inside the cooking area heats up quicker. Heat transfer to the cooking area from the element, heat loss from and volume of air within the cooking area are the things that would matter to efficiency I would have thought

You are right, i don't know how they operate.

Does an air fryer draw 100% of the time it's cooking does anyone know?

The comparison i was running is one of my go-to UTM dinner for a few days setups.

That's 1.5hrs (90mins) of the 2kW oven including pre-heat. 3kwh if it ran continuous (it doesn't)
Air fryer 1400w is claiming 26 mins for the same result. 0.6kwh if it runs continous. (i don't know)

So if the big oven can cook it by only being on for 20% of the time to keep the temp, it could be more efficient. Like there are a million micro efficiencies like losses and things but i think kw/food is good enough for me because that's what i'm gonna use it for.

I also agree with you about cooking smells.

Time efficiency would be less of a concern for me, but a mild one.

preheating an oven is a waste of time (and money) with a lot of foods. if you want to put a joint in and immediately sear the outside, or want to cook a decent pizza, then you want a preheated oven. but there's plenty of food which will cook fine if you put them in from cold.

preheating an oven is a waste of time (and money) with a lot of foods. if you want to put a joint in and immediately sear the outside, or want to cook a decent pizza, then you want a preheated oven. but there's plenty of food which will cook fine if you put them in from cold.

During lockdown i more or less worked out that any pizza from a box cook time is the non-preheat cook time plus 9 minutes. I'm not into high level pizza, if i'm buying a 2eu dinner i want it to taste like 2eu

moving the air around the food more efficiently at the same temp should mean it should cook more quickly i guess.
i had a quick google and it's shocking how many articles in comparing the two assume that the average power an oven draws is the max wattage it's rated at.
e.g.

I was initially going on the air gaps

my oven is 65L
a small countertop oven (or air fryer) is about 4L so you have to keep the air and the food to temperature to cook - the home oven is probably designed with big dish things in mind like turkeys or whatever so i was guessing they'd hit a happy medium between efficiency and capacity, and that the countertop ovens (or air fryers) would beat them on this metric.

or as one comment i saw - if you were to measure the temp increase in the room itself during the cooking process, for a set amount of food, it could probably give you a good idea.

or as one comment i saw - if you were to measure the temp increase in the room itself during the cooking process, for a set amount of food, it could probably give you a good idea.

Well i have a wattage meter and the oven is connected to the meter in the house so I could be way more exact than that -

Anywhoo until i hear wether they run constant or intermittent like a normal oven actually aquiring one could be the most inneficient action to me and I really don't have any other reason to buy one other than as an energy saver.

lidl seem to have all sorts of weirdly specific cooking appliances at the moment - crepe makers/s'mores makers (i didn't know what an s'more was)/sausage roll makers/potato peelers/triple slow cookers; but the have egg cookers occasionally and i know a couple of lads who swear by them (though maybe not specifically the lidl ones)

I've been seeing those but I'm a kinda having a bit of a journey since the air fryer era started here.

Like essentially I don't use the oven I have well. To my mind I need to learn how to do things without the shortcut first and then see if I need them.

Like using an air fryer to boil eggs is a t red flag :p

lidl seem to have all sorts of weirdly specific cooking appliances at the moment - crepe makers/s'mores makers (i didn't know what an s'more was)/sausage roll makers/potato peelers/triple slow cookers; but the have egg cookers occasionally and i know a couple of lads who swear by them (though maybe not specifically the lidl ones)
If you eat boiled eggs regularly they're a worthwhile investment. One great thing is if you're busy getting ready in the morning, you can stick on some eggs without worrying about a saucepan of water boiling off.

Although you can scald yourself if you're not careful it also feels safer than handling full saucepans of boiling water.

there's a '9 in one' air fryer in lidl at the moment. does food dehydration too, something which might be useful but which i'm wary about energy use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back