Ah, gig..November Coming Fire, The Skies Collide, Based On Reason, Breaking The Walls (1 Viewer)

Re: Ah, gig..November Coming Fire, The Skies Collide, Based On Reason, Breaking The W

mac warzonescum said:
I now expect Gary to come on and say 'U2's first 7" Three was amazing, after that they went shite.'
Always hated them

david maher, have you ever tried booking a tour for a band coming to ireland? what about going on tour, have you tried that? it's just that i need some advice, see i'm playing with in a band at the belfast leg of this tour, and i'm wondering if you think we should factor in the rent for rehearsal space, plus the £1100 i spent on new kit last week, when we demand our cut of the money?
please advise,
b x

Re: Ah, gig..November Coming Fire, The Skies Collide, Based On Reason, Breaking The W

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Always hated them

At the risk of sounding like you, I'm of the opinion that their first 7" was actually pretty good in a jagged new-wave style (reminiscent of Killing Joke without the keyboards) and after that they certainly went shite.

Cormcolash said:
Is it a thread for people agreeing that touring bands should be paid money from gigs?

This just in: Eirecore members concede that one plus one does in fact equal two. Pictures at eleven.

re: david maher, have you ever tried booking a tour for a band coming to ireland? what about going on tour, have you tried that? it's just that i need some advice, see i'm playing with in a band at the belfast leg of this tour, and i'm wondering if you think we should factor in the rent for rehearsal space, plus the £1100 i spent on new kit last week, when we demand our cut of the money?
please advise,
b x

Dear b,

I do not really care what you factor in as your expenses. I never mentioned "demanding our cut of the money". I don't know what you are talking about. I think it must be my fault for not explaining it properly so I will attempt to do so again.

If you go and see a band, it is my opinion that, people should be willing to pay to go and see the band regardless of whether or not they are touring, whether or not they come from Dublin or Cork or wherever. The only factor should be whether or not the price is FAIR for the quality of band that they are going to see.

Obviously when talking about giving money to bands that are touring etc out of the money from the door etc I am of the opinion that they should prob get all the money as it is easy for us to get a bus/taxi back to where we live and they would have to sleep in a van, stay in a hostel/hotel etc etc. and also the touring band are normally the main band!!

With regard to the money end of thing (you prob think I am a money grabbing bast*rd or whatever, frankly I don't really care) I was simply pointing out that being in a band is an expensive business, I recently took out a big loan to pay for recording and new cymbols etc but I am not complaining. I am more than happy to pay it back myself as I really enjoy playing and the way I look at it, if you are going to complain to me about spending £1,100 on a new drum kit then maybe you should ask them if they will take it back.

It just annoyed me when some one said they would pay into the gig because the band was touring, i.e. to go and see a quality band like November Coming Fire they would expect to get in for free if the band was from Dublin? It just doesn't make any sense. (that by the way was why I used the U2 reference earlier on, it wasn't cos I like them, it was just an example so relax)

I am not looking to make money or even recover any costs that I incur from being in a band, I was simply trying to make people take a step back and think about what they were saying.

I realise that I prob should have not said anything now as people are obviously looking for a fight or argument.

Does anyone not agree with me that people expecting to get in to see good Irish bands for free, but thinking it is ok to pay "just because they are touring" is a bit ridiculous?

Please don't start a debate about what good Irish bands there are or whatever, it is just the principal of the matter I am talking about.

Thanks,

Marz

P.S. No I have never organised a tour however if I ever do I will make sure that it is not with whichever band that you are in as I don't fancy paying for your new drum kit and rehersal time!!

Don't think anybody said they should get to see local bands for free,though please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I read the original point as being that because a second touring band was playing there would be greater expenses.

To be fair david, you're very bad at making your point. It's still pretty much unclear, to me anyways. Since when are gigs free? The only price difference i can see is about 2-3 quid. If you're addressing the idea of someone going just cos the band is touring irrespective of quality, it's called "supporting the scene" or some less cliched variation thereof which basically means that if a band you're not necessarily into comes around and nobody goes to see them, word may trickle back to the band you want to see that there's no crowd for that type of music. Therefore going to see more touring bands means more touring bands are likely to come and maybe someday your fave band is too. Or maybe you were trying to say that you should only pay as much as you feel you got out of the gig? Does that mean that if i pay e8 for four bands but think three of them were shite, i'm entitled to e6 back? Becasue if that's the case, i'm due a fuckload of money from a number of venues around the country...

Haha, thats funny, yeah I reckon there would always be a que for refunds!!

I agree with you it is a great idea to support the scene, I just saw posts on the first page and assumed when people say €8, fub off, oh its a touring band thats ok, that they were expecting to get in for free otherwise. Thanks for correcting me, just got out of the wrong side of the bed yesterday!!!!

Take it easy, looking forward to the gig!

See ye all there

Marz

bands shouldnt be paid at all unless their vegan.full stop.
message.jpgx3w0cw.jpg

David Maher said:
It just annoyed me when some one said they would pay into the gig because the band was touring, i.e. to go and see a quality band like November Coming Fire they would expect to get in for free if the band was from Dublin?

Do me a favour here and quote where anyone made such a statement, would you?

This is ridiculous. I think everyone picked up his comment about getting in for free because of Local bands playing wrong. he was exaggerating. Someone said 8 was too much for a gig thinking it was local bands and thought thats too much, but when they found out it was a touring band they thought it was fine for that much.

Actually I couldn't be bothered trying to clear this up cause Marz started it and likes arguing. So....

Who ever put on MDC in Belfast a couple of years ago, I demand my 7 quid or however much it was back. I expect it posted to me ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back