Advetising Gigs (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by hag

oh if only, if they don't have a student's union stamp on them, they're down before they're up. believe me, that would help so much if you could poster colleges, it just ain't possible.

Somebody may have beaten me to this as I haven't had the patience to read all of this thread so apologies in advance.

That's true about the students union stamp thing. When I was in Limerick the union refused to stamp a poster with one of our gigs on as it conflicted with one of their events. The effrontery! So we put the posters up anyway and sellotaped/stapled them to everything else on the notice boards. If the cunts wanted to rip down our stuff they'd have to take everything else with them.
Needles to say it worked, and well.

pete said:
ok

here's my two cents – this is just my take on what’s been bounced around today, and I’m probably jumping way ahead here, but the idea of all interested parties getting together to pool their resources is pretty amazing – and it’s something that’s been way too long coming.

The way I see it, what might be taking shape is a sort of umbrella organisation, representative body, or a kind of trade association, for independent music.

This (unnamed thing) could attempt to negotiate national and international distribution for it’s entire roster (I’m using that word rather than “catalogue” cos it doesn’t imply ownership) , rather than each individual band or label struggling to do so.

Obviously, most of the ‘established’ independent labels here already have distribution sorted, through whatever channels, but if each one were to go to their distributors and say “From now on my stuff is being handled by (unnamed thing). Would you please deal with them from now on.”, then I’d imagine the distributors would be only too happy to reduce their own administrative overheads, while providing a foot in the door for others.

Obviously there are issues there that would have to be addressed by the individuals concerned – for example, nobody is going to want to walk away from a perfectly good working relationship with Cargo without guarantees that whatever takes its place is going to work…

And I’m not for a minute suggesting that any band or label that chose to get involved would lose their own identity, or have it compromised or watered down in any way – I would suggest that at most, the (unnamed thing) would get a thank you on the release, but no form of actual production credit. The (unnamed thing) would exist purely to facilitate and represent the label or band.

----

Publicity is another area this could work well. Imagine the time and money a central clearing house for the creation and distribution of press kits and promos etc. would save – the economies of scale on the postage stamps alone would make it worthwhile….

Production of regular “sampler” CD’s could be done for next to nothing, with each participant paying a percentage of the production costs…

This (unnamed thing) could also block-book advertising locally and internationally highlighting upcoming record releases on each label.

----

On the weekly gig listing email idea – this is such an obvious idea it’s a wonder it’s NOT been done already. Pretty much every band has their own distribution list by now - there’s no reason why they shouldn’t keep it either – but it would be great if all the lists could be combined, the duplicates removed, and the resulting list used as the beginnings of the weekly notifications.

After that, how about everyone involved in “the scene” who has a webpage puts up a little signup form? And the already mentioned signup sheet in Road, and Freebird, and at gigs….

----

To be honest I dunno if there’s enough volume of “product” out there that would justify paying someone right now – but if it worked, and people started covering their costs, then why the hell not?

----

Anyway that's what I think.

oh yeah one other thing - don't use the word "Collective". It makes people think of lentils. ;)

i'm guessing things what your missing got started here but did anything come of the pre distro umbrella group?
great idea.

where does the time go...

nothing happened as regards a pre-distro umbrella group really. most that happened on that side of it was that tym got cd's\records stocked in shops around dublin on behalf of the various bands. there was some minor distro outside dublin but it never took off. basically it wasn't anything that the individual bands couldn't have done themselves but it saved them and the shops some hassle in having one person deal with it. pain in the arse for that one person though.

Jeez, and I was just looking for a couple of tips on getting gigs listed! And then an hour later...

What's happening with the new totalatarian THiNGS anyway? I think... ditch the distro idea and everyone's laughing. It was too much work by the sounds and easy to take advantage of etc. I think the totalatian tings would work, but no one would want to join. It would have to be enforced labour. Maybe with all the immigrants, but I don't know, wouldn't be fair on them really.

Some excellent ideas on this thread though... It's a shame to ditch all the ideas, semtiment, lunacy etc.

Keeror said:
Fake Working Class wrote:
"more/ANY advertising might help.
poster the fuck out of these things and post like kerrazzee to get it through to rims like me".

What is the best way to advertise gigs, I wonder?
Do people read listings pages, here or in the Event Guide or in the newspapers?

Does anyone look at A3 posters?
Do they ever stay up for more than 5 minutes before being covered or pulled down?
It takes at least half a day to do a decent poster run around town. Most indie promoters don't have time to do this twice a week, as is probably required.
And billboards are very pricey.

So they turn to Micromedia, commodifiers of the underground.

Even if you do get lots of posters up for any length of time, they'll still only be on display in the city centre, meaning lots of music-loving 'burbanites and students will never see them.
And if it's someone who doesn't get featured in the NME or on No Disco, will the fact that their gig is on even register with those who see the advertising?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back