Adobe Flex/Air, Microsoft Silverlight, AJAX etc. (1 Viewer)

plug

Website
www.outonalimbrecords.com
seems to be a lot of buzz about "rich internet applications" lately. future of the web and all that. I started getting curious about all of this stuff recently. I've been looking at Adobe Flex briefly in the last few days; I've hardly even messed around with it but it seems pretty deadly, especially the xml based (mxml) layout markup and new object oriented actionscript. seems to be a lot of database support as well. powerful stuff!

Silverlight looks like a serious attempt to muscle in on adobe's territory. xml based (xaml) layout, and I think you code in javascript, or whatever .NET language you like: c#, vb etc. on the face of it, it seems pretty cool. I downloaded the sdk and tooled around a little bit; I drew some coloured squares and circles in other words. don't know much about it other than that. other than it's microsoft and it's probably evil.

and it's all open source. although adobe and microsoft give you the option to buy expensive IDEs for each of course :)

I know little to none about AJAX. xhtml, css and javascript? or is there a lot more to it?

so what y'all think? anyone been tooling around with any of this stuff or have any opinions/thoughts?

Personally I'm waiting till Web 3.0 makes my doctor's appointments for me before I get excited.

I had to write an essay about Web 3.0 there a few weeks ago and started blathering on about Terminator in the middle of it. I didn't get a very good mark for that one.

Personally I'm waiting till Web 3.0 makes my doctor's appointments for me before I get excited.

I had to write an essay about Web 3.0 there a few weeks ago and started blathering on about Terminator in the middle of it. I didn't get a very good mark for that one.
What's Web 3.0?
Why are you studying all of this?

I haven't used any of these frameworks. I still do AJAX stuff by hand - coding the Javascript to send the HTTP request and handle the response and update the DOM. I don't do that much AJAX anyway and the stuff that I do do is fairly simple eg. update a combo box based on the selection in another combo box. If I was doing anything more complex I'd probably look into one of these frameworks - so I don't have to write the plumbing over and over again.

I get lost with all the new frameworks that come out. The last time I looked at AJAX frameworks, Microsoft had this Atlas project. Is that connected to Silverlight? :confused:

Oh right - I just see Silverlight is more like Flash and Shockwave and those other animation browser plug-ins.

What's Web 3.0?
Why are you studying all of this?
1. Web 3.0 aka the Semantic Web is a yoke that will theoretically enable software agents to use the web like humans do now, by encoding information in a standardised kinda way. XML and RDF are going to be big apparently.

2. I ask myself the same question.

Are you researching all software technologies plug? ;) You seem to be looking at something new every few weeks.

1. Web 3.0 aka the Semantic Web is a yoke that will theoretically enable software agents to use the web like humans do now, by encoding information in a standardised kinda way. XML and RDF are going to be big apparently.

2. I ask myself the same question.

What course are you doing Super Dexta? It sounds more cutting edge than most computer science/software engineering courses - what with all this J2ME and semantic web stuff.

What course are you doing Super Dexta? It sounds more cutting edge than most computer science/software engineering courses - what with all this J2ME and semantic web stuff.
masters in e-business. tis a funded yoke under the NDP graduate skills conversion programme. basically computer science lite, aimed at people who didn't study computer science before, and with a business slant. we do web programming, software design, databases, telecoms technology and applications, mobile java, storage technology, e-business models and e-business theory. some of it is a bit of a dose. meant to be writing 15 pages on the transport layer security protocol right now. cry.

masters in e-business. tis a funded yoke under the NDP graduate skills conversion programme. basically computer science lite, aimed at people who didn't study computer science before, and with a business slant. we do web programming, software design, databases, telecoms technology and applications, mobile java, storage technology, e-business models and e-business theory. some of it is a bit of a dose. meant to be writing 15 pages on the transport layer security protocol right now. cry.

At least the stuff you are learning is practical. Most of the stuff you learn in computer science you never really apply in your day-to-day work. Like you rarely have to think about the complexity of sort algorithms or how to efficiently traverse a tree etc. You more have to deal with practical stuff like the things you listed above.

quoting the terminator in an essay commands respect!

Are you researching all software technologies plug? ;) You seem to be looking at something new every few weeks.
haha no no, not at all. call me curious! :) I'm at the arse end of a six month java/vb.net fás course, so as you can imagine I've had plenty of time to read shit up. I've been trying to elevate myself from my lowly graphic/web designer status so I've been looking into every technology that's been out there lately.

I did a fair bit of flash along with the usual bog standard link-in-the-chain web work in my last job, so I'm pretty interested in it, but it can be a pain in the hole to develop stuff with. adobe seem to be moving into a whole new plateau with flex. and it looks a lot more developer friendly which is cool. I'm starting a work placement next month; I think they're going to have me researching flex and air mostly.

so yeah, curiousity killed the web designer!

hey I might be getting mixed up but you live in cork right? is that a cork based thang? sounds interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back