Adam Curtis' Bitter Lake (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 2
There's little to no evidence that Curtis is actually part of the LM network though, they shifted hard right in the early 90's to basically become the early precursor of the current "red pill right" that's popular online. Whatever you think about Curtis I don't think he's as right wing as the Spiked/LM crew are.

"Red pill right" - never heard that before but just Googled it. It's definitely a thing. Certainly seems unfair to lump Curtis in with that lot though. This idea that society should be run by an educated/tech-savvy elite ... that's basically Plato's Republic.

Yeah its a new term that Jay Allen at BoingBoing created, I assume you saw the article about it: A beginner's guide to the Redpill Right - Boing Boing

It's a really good read, it ties together a lot of what I've been unable to put my finger on when it comes to a lot of the hot button internet issues. Particularly the thing where they identify as being left libertarian when they're anything but.

Yeah, that's the one I read. It's good. Zizek has a whole riff about the red pill/blue pill thing in one of his films. Reminded me of that. Anyway, it successfully names and draws a line around a whole bunch of things that bug the shit out of me. That neoreactionism stuff in particular is most bizarre and fucked up.

Deadly thread. I'm about 2/3 way through this...it's on youtube at the moment. First impressions are that it's up to his usual standard. More impressionistic, and the images seem more directly poignant and less flippant than some of his other stuff. He draws a lot of wildly disparate elements together to make his central thesis, so it's more about making a conceptual point than giving you a history lesson...which is great, but his stuff always makes me feel like there should be a bibliography at the end. The breadth of his research is awe inspiring. He's very fond of the old Nine Inch Nails too.
Going to hit up that Red Pill Right stuff when I get a chance.

Deadly thread. I'm about 2/3 way through this...it's on youtube at the moment. First impressions are that it's up to his usual standard. More impressionistic, and the images seem more directly poignant and less flippant than some of his other stuff. He draws a lot of wildly disparate elements together to make his central thesis, so it's more about making a conceptual point than giving you a history lesson...which is great, but his stuff always makes me feel like there should be a bibliography at the end. The breadth of his research is awe inspiring. He's very fond of the old Nine Inch Nails too.
Going to hit up that Red Pill Right stuff when I get a chance.

He does a pretty great job using old footage. Must have gone through tons of it.

How's everyone watching this anyway? Hacking the BBC iplayer?

He does a pretty great job using old footage. Must have gone through tons of it.

It seems that a lot of the footage was from two film makers, there's more contemporary footage in this one than he normally uses. Watched the rest of it last night...point made, brilliantly. The recurring shots of concerned journalists, teachers and soldiers completely at a loss to relate to their surroundings or do anything meaningful or helpful are tragic to watch.

Very coherent posting by Kanye there, is it actually him?

I mean, this was him a week or two ago

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back