Acts touring that don't come here (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Whats the story with this? When a band/act tours is it up to a promoter to convince them to come and play here, or will the act contact the promoter? It seems there are quite a few acts (american in particular) that go and play several dates in the UK and on mainland Europe, but that don't come here. 2 I can think of offhand at the moment are Wilco (who are playing Belfast, which really makes me wonder), and Joanna Newsom.

i've a feeling this is usually about potential profit margins.. i.e. the cost of shipping a road crew into ireland just for one nights work is probably a little hard to recoup through ticket sales. its unfair, but just part of being geographically challenged.

i've a feeling this is usually about potential profit margins.. i.e. the cost of shipping a road crew into ireland just for one nights work is probably a little hard to recoup through ticket sales. its unfair, but just part of being geographically challenged.

I thought that might be it, but then don't promoters just pay acts a fee and then recoup the cost on whatever the take is? So the act can't lose really (I'm talking the bigger acts here).

not according to wikipedia

the distance from dublin to belfast is a pittance compared to how much westies like myself travel to see gigs in dublin. 7-8 hour round trip for me to see a gig in dublin. it annoys me that touring bands dont come to my front lawn too.

newsom owes ireland a gig, folk harp being her main instrument and so forth. the harp she had on the ys tour was worth 22,000 or something though, i wouldn't fancy shipping that across the irish sea.

I don't think spoon have ever played a headline show over here. Well certainly not in the seven years I've been here.

I thought I remembered Ernesto and co gushing over the here being in Dublin. Anyways back on topic, dunno why acts play Belfast and not Dublin but the whole island is generally skipped due to the huge cost of ferries into this country and also short that an island of this size don't warrant being part of.

Also I'd imagine it's half and half between agents contacting promoters here and promoters here having to chase agents to get bands over here. That's roughly my experience with punk/hardcore anyway.

Can also be certain acts demanding astronomical fees and the promoters deciding it's not worth their while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back