Acts touring that don't come here (1 Viewer)

Oxbow’s latest tour is skipping Ireland. I had a ticket to see them in Whelan’s, must have been 20 years ago now, but I bottled it. What can I say? I felt intimidated by the entire aura of Eugene Robinson. Now we’d probably chat about what a shithead a certain Irish MMA prick is.

Oxbow’s latest tour is skipping Ireland. I had a ticket to see them in Whelan’s, must have been 20 years ago now, but I bottled it. What can I say? I felt intimidated by the entire aura of Eugene Robinson. Now we’d probably chat about what a shithead a certain Irish MMA prick is.
Never knew they played here nor that they were still going.

Honestly, that gig was super intense. Your instincts weren't wrong. You just unlocked a vivid memory for me there.

That would be a great one.

As for Salon above, I have seen them live 20+ times easily but not since 2005. Dudes need to travel across the ocean!
I love Sloan but have a weird relationship with them. 50/50 totally amazing, total crap.
One summer I was in Toronto and Sloan were doing a special Murder Records. I was all excited to finally see Sloan. It was a gig with a load of the bands they signed to Murder Records in the early days then Sloan came out and just played their very first ep they put out on Murder Records. Unfortunately this was the "total crap" side of the band. Plus it was jammers, the crowd was rude and the sound was abysmal. It was an overfamiliar pally pally night. Not a proper gig in any sense. God I'd love a proper gig.

Honestly, that gig was super intense. Your instincts weren't wrong. You just unlocked a vivid memory for me there.
I was at that show and kind of a weedy chap in my early 20s...I was a little bit scared but ultimately my curiosity won out...the band are just insane, and of course he did sort of wrestle some chap to the ground. But it felt a little strained...the wrestling....it wasn't New Jack beating Gypsy Joe like he owed him money... The place was not that full, and the front of the stage was completely bare. The response was very timid...they probably just wrote Ireland off after that.

I then saw Eugene Robinson in Bunuel at Supersonic last year. After the first song,the audience are whooping totally enthralled with the Eugene experience. He screams thank you in a squeaky, high-pitched voice and you're in love with this guy...

Especially when he striped down to just these incredible underpants.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, there's a lot more levity about him than I initially perceived.

I'll be seeing Oxbow at Supersonic this year. Oh yeah, I saw Oxbow at Supersonic 08...there was a lot of reverence, kind of the opposite of the Whelans show...Eugene definitely feeds off big audience love.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back