A U2 Thread (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
so we've established elsewhere that they were good at least until 1986 but will entertain arguments that they may actually have stayed good until 1990. After that there were snippets of stuff that was good but mostly they were shite.

and Bono is a bit of an arsehole but does some good so fair play to him

also, I was at the making of the video for Gloria but didn't get in the video

(possibly my last contribution to this thread)

Bono is a pox

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

scuuuuuuuuuuuuze me, can you speeek up plz

bonavox.jpg

Someone once said that the definition of a bad movie sequel was one that detracted from the original when you watched it again. That's what every post Zooropa album has done to U2 to an ever increasing degree. It's getting to the stage where I can't hear any U2 at all without hearing 2012 Bono's turgid self-reverential caterwauling on it, and having to stifle the vomit reflex.

the first U2 album that I didn't buy (and still the only one that I haven't got) is the last one.

I did buy the Atomic Bomb one but never listened to it, and the one with Beautiful Day on it but got fed up after about 2 listens.

IMO buying an album and never listening to it teaches the band a far more valuable lesson than not buying it in the first place. IMO.

they're lovely people though.

One of the people in the principal management offices married the older brother of someone I've been friends with since junior infants and the band attended the wedding. I was talking to my friend's father the week after the wedding and said that I'd heard there were some famous guests. He's a nice old gent but a bit reserved, he wears a cravat on occasion, and he told me that Bono "seemed nice but he wore jeans to the church, and the cuffs were frayed."

I was in U2 captivity in the context of a relationship from 2000-2003. Very close family, obsessed with U2. All did Bono's 'one foot raised, hands in the air' dance from the Elevation video whenever they were drinking. Went to see U2 tribute bands.
It's all coming back to me now.

I would include Pop in their mostly good stuff but it's been terrible since then, they've been cannibalising their 80s and 90s sounds in the service of very bland chart rock and Bono who had developed a bit of lyrical craft by the end of the 90s somehow came around to the idea that 'a mole digging in a hole' or 'get on your sexy boots' are not cringeworthy (plus he still goes for the higher register all the time despite his voice having deteriorated, which makes him sound like he's straining to force one out). The thing that gave them an edge over general stadium rock rubbish was being a bit progressive and clever and co-opting some new sounds and genres each time, but they gave up on that when Pop was a bit of a flop. Should have quit after that album so Bono could become the full time humanitarian figurehead / politician bothering type he obviously wants to be now.

Some good tunes hidden in their back catalogue though.. I still like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alMVWaYkx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJF1bm9SSDo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqBgDa_VuM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYy_KCaPfE

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back