______sounds like.........______ (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Threads
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
My old band had a song called Planted that has a long outro that's four chords repeated. I distinctly remember that around 2 months after we wrote it I heard Creep for the first time (it was brand new at the time). Ah balls, I thought... for about 2 minutes.

ernesto

lover not a fighter
Supporter
Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
It's the meloday too innit? (not that it's still not making them look like chumps. Would hope it's their publishers acting the prick)
Not really the melody I would say. It’s just in the same key and a bit similar slow tempo so naturally the creep vocal melody sit comfortable in that Lana del ray song. And I s only the verse, it’s not like the change or bridge aswell

ann post

Threads
WElllllll

I mean lets be realistic, How much of Lana's career is based on throwbacks and fake retro and things that are almost things. (album is called 'lust for life' for christs sakes) - While i dont think 100% is a fair claim, i don't think a three person songwriting team wrote that and didn't think 'we've wrote creep, but fuck it' or a committee got through life without hearing of iggy pop. Lana has offered 40% which is like pretty much a hands up 'ok ok ok Its a rip off' as far as i'm concerned.

Here's the videogames source song:

I've a suspicion that radioheads 'creative control' is more of a projection and at heart they are as much at the mercy of their legal team as any act that literally sells out gigs on rumors. Conversely, they could just have evolved into massive cunts who are still great musicians.

The nick cave thing makes it more suspect - like whatever collective management they are using for touring seems to have them, pixies and cave on the same circuit, taking in Isreal and mumbling excuses about it.

Lili Marlene

Sleeperbloke
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
WElllllll

I mean lets be realistic, How much of Lana's career is based on throwbacks and fake retro and things that are almost things. (album is called 'lust for life' for christs sakes) - While i dont think 100% is a fair claim, i don't think a three person songwriting team wrote that and didn't think 'we've wrote creep, but fuck it' or a committee got through life without hearing of iggy pop. Lana has offered 40% which is like pretty much a hands up 'ok ok ok Its a rip off' as far as i'm concerned.
I'd go with this as well.

I think a lot of it is stemming from the Marvin Gaye Blurred Lines suit, where a vibe, chord progression and general inspiration is enough to win a case in US court so all the lawyers got excited over the crap they'll be able to pull.

As you allude to, it's also related to all that vapour-wave fake-nostalgia-as-a-way-of-moving-forward hauntology stuff that appeared as a result of instant access to all music. Kinda interesting anyway.

Maybe the estate of Bo Diddley will decide to take this to its logical conclusion and clean up from the past 50 years of music as a result of all this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... if we have any.

Upgrade now

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Latest posts

Latest threads