50 Incredibly Tough Albums For Extreme Listeners (1 Viewer)

Jesus christ lads. On one hand we've got a thread saying Music is shit and music journalists are lazy cunts, here's a thread where someone made the effort to champion Beefheart, Faust, Can, Autechre, Boris, Miles Davis and the likes and here we are bitching about how it's not enough either.

Fuck sake, at least it's a start.
They're putting up billboards in my secret garden - I've seen more journalism on Nico's 'The Marble Index' in the last two years than I did in the previous twenty - it's another indicator of the poverty of the times and of general desperation.

the toughest album of all

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jesus christ lads. On one hand we've got a thread saying Music is shit and music journalists are lazy cunts, here's a thread where someone made the effort to champion Beefheart, Faust, Can, Autechre, Boris, Miles Davis and the likes and here we are bitching about how it's not enough either.

Fuck sake, at least it's a start.

I thought the thread was arguing that the music of the last few years is shit and these are all artists who are old/split up/dead/did their best work years ago (not that it negates their brilliance, the great Boris and Autechre stuff is still amazing despite them both becoming dry as shite and despite being old, Faust are still two of the most exciting bands on earth). This list does little to negate the argument that modern music is shit as it is glorifying a bunch of albums that are mostly at least 10 years old. I think the idea that musical creativity has now run dry is an ignorant one but holding up examples of Beefheart, Faust and Can as reasons why modern music isn't shit is silly.

I also think including gentle pop music and soft indie rock as being "incredibly tough" and for "extreme listeners" is delusional in a world where La Monte Young's "Poem for Chairs" or Nurse With Wound's Homotopy to Marie or that 9CD Jandek piano album exists. Then again, there are people out there who will look at these three examples and say: "What about that rare recording of Gustav Niehenbachschlag playing nose flute with Jimmy Speadle on sandwich bass which really pushes tonality and rhythm out the window!?! NWW is easy listening in comparison!"

They're putting up billboards in my secret garden - I've seen more journalism on Nico's 'The Marble Index' in the last two years than I did in the previous twenty - it's another indicator of the poverty of the times and of general desperation.

That's a good sign, it means that at least some people are looking backward in order to go forward. That happens in every art scene.

I thought the thread was arguing that the music of the last few years is shit and these are all artists who are old/split up/dead/did their best work years ago (not that it negates their brilliance, the great Boris and Autechre stuff is still amazing despite them both becoming dry as shite and despite being old, Faust are still two of the most exciting bands on earth). This list does little to negate the argument that modern music is shit as it is glorifying a bunch of albums that are mostly at least 10 years old. I think the idea that musical creativity has now run dry is an ignorant one but holding up examples of Beefheart, Faust and Can as reasons why modern music isn't shit is silly.
I was talking specifically about the lazy journalism though, I should have made that clearer. I'm just saying this article is better than "50 bands from brooklyn you have to hear right now!" where every band sounds exactly the same. Besides which, some 18 year old might be downloading a This Heat album right now off the back of that article so that's no bad thing (So long as they pay for it).

Just watch the BBC docu on the making of it and leave it at, is my advice.

Cool, must check it out.

I remember somebody telling me that what put them off checking out Beefheart was that every terrible indie band they spoke to said "You know we've actually been compared to Beefheart a good bit."

Cool, must check it out.

I remember somebody telling me that what put them off checking out Beefheart was that every terrible indie band they spoke to said "You know we've actually been compared to Beefheart a good bit."

Oh the rest of his stuff is MOR in comparison with Trout Mask. And the stuff I know is ace. Safe is Milk is deadly.

This is the only song I can really listen to on TMR

Whatever about that list I'm currently listening to that Geneva album from 1997 and it's one of the toughest listens I've had in ages.

'tough' albums could probably be summed up as the ones you would never listen to when your piss-taking partner/friends is/are around

this definition occurred to me while listening to track 9 off that bjork album

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back