4 steps to indie rock success* in 2009.** (1 Viewer)

ah it's gas. You know when people talk about 'americans' who 'don't get' the Smiths or Joy Division and do it all wrong?

It's like that (but with, I dunno, new pop?) .

I think it's supposed to look like some kind of 'Working Men's Club' in Manchester or something

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ps. ' '

I belive that music in the long run can straighten out most things

There are too many bands that act lame

Sound tame

I believe In Electrelane

Over here it's new, it's now, it's you, it's clean

The beard and lipstick scene

So look beyond Big brother, gossip culture,

So bored of stupidity

The myth of common sense

I believe in Donovan over Dylan

In love over cynicism

Oh, ??????????

so there

i see

ah it's gas. You know when people talk about 'americans' who 'don't get' the Smiths or Joy Division and do it all wrong?

It's like that (but with, I dunno, new pop?) .

I think it's supposed to look like some kind of 'Working Men's Club' in Manchester or something

ps. ' '

John, there was a part in that video where the drummer stopped playing but I could still hear drums. I mean, the band is called the drums. I couldn't go on after that (it was within the first minute).

word nooly, word

blah blah blah the entirety of Contra summed up in a single suggestive image that serves as a dartboard for our conflicted feelings about class and commodities blah blah blah

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/7833-this-is-not-a-photograph/

if i'm being honest I actually like this kind of artwork, it's a massive improvement over the bollocksy rock stuff that was around a few years ago

AKA

6692774_TowersofLondon-BloodSweat.jpg

I'm just not sure if I trust it.

I DON'T TRUST INDIE ROCK.

Well that is true but i'd also include albums I actually liked:

the-rakes-capture-release.jpg

sorry I can't remember my point. The Drums are still a bloody nuisance though

all these new 'random photo that means nothing really' cover's are just a further extension of this hipster crap that is polluting everything right now.all it says is 'look we got a photo from 20 odd years ago when stuff was cooler than it is now'.a pile of shite quite frankly.

if i'm being honest I actually like this kind of artwork, it's a massive improvement over the bollocksy rock stuff that was around a few years ago

AKA

6692774_TowersofLondon-BloodSweat.jpg

I'm just not sure if I trust it.

I DON'T TRUST INDIE ROCK.

They're a real band??? I always thought they were like a shitty modern spinal tap.

I'm a fuckin Rock Star

Good grief

is this the most generic album in existence or is it just the reviewer??

http://www.pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15386-past-life-martyred-saints/

It's almost as though Anderson snoozed her way through the past decade and is picking up threads that have mostly lain dormant since the early-to-mid 1990s
Early 90's sounding - check

It dwells in the same kind of unsettling territory as Goffin/King's "He Hit Me (It Felt Like a Kiss)" and the bare-bones musical arrangement heightens the severity of the message just as Phil Spector's production did on the Crystals' song.
Very basic entry-level reference to '60's girl groups' (whatever that means) - check

"California" is among Anderson's best works, a stream-of-consciousness rant about displacement and alienation set to a musical backing that feels like civilization collapsing around her. "California" shows off her enviable talent for finding a comfortable place where big-topic sloganeering and personal tales can coexist. It's that sweat-soaked head-rush of repulsion, sadness, anxiety, and nostalgia you get when you feel the tug of home.
Mention of beaches/ sunny nostalgia - check

Comparisons can certainly be drawn to artists such as Patti Smith or Cat Power, and her dry, deadpan delivery occasionally orbits the same sphere as Kim Gordon's vocal work with Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth - check

Fucking hell.

It's like the opening of 99 Red Balloons for 4 and a half minutes.

It's alright, don't want to hear it again though. Bring back Giant Drag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back