4 steps to indie rock success* in 2009.** (1 Viewer)

1. be fuzzy/lo-fi, even if you record yourself on computer you MUST make it sound like it was recorded on an old cassette.

2. release a cassette.

3. when naming your band/album/song, use words like: beach, surf, sun, tropical and so on.

4. your album cover should be a blurry picture, vaguely nostalgic, preferably actually taken with a polaroid or some kind of holga type thing.

*being featured on some blogs.

**so what? exactly!

I think Future Islands fulfill all these!

wow! we were so ahead of the curve.

the formula for success is

twice the average number of people at your first gig over two multiplied by the age of the youngest person in the audience divided by itself.

1. be fuzzy/lo-fi, even if you record yourself on computer you MUST make it sound like it was recorded on an old cassette.

2. release a cassette.

3. when naming your band/album/song, use words like: beach, surf, sun, tropical and so on.

4. your album cover should be a blurry picture, vaguely nostalgic, preferably actually taken with a polaroid or some kind of holga type thing.

*being featured on some blogs.
**so what? exactly!

No one ever wants to admit that summer's totally over, but it's even tougher this year considering how fun it all was-- seems like every other day, an evocatively named band would come about and contribute to this glo-fi/dreambeat/chillwave thing that was perfect for those unbearably humid August nights rife with possibility, imagining an alternate universe where the narcotic of choice in danceclubs were Galaxie 500 and Saint Etienne records.

What are Pitchfork going on about here? Is this the thing you mean, Dutchman?
Did I miss the summer because I wasn't in Chicago? :(

I think you have to be a massive cunt but obviously that's a given. Also you have to be middleclassey and a bit gormless looking. Then you get a scarf. skinny jeans, a little leather jacket , a record bag and walk around town with your mouth slightly open, mouching around from record shop to poxy cafe only stoping to smoke (or roll) the odd rollie. Do that for a few years and you'll start to attract other spas. You'll need 4 plus you!!!!!

1) Cunt singer/songwriter
2) Cunt guitar player/songwriter
3) Cunt bassplayer
4) Cunt Drums
5) Cunt keyboards-for-the-sake of it player

Right then all you have to do is convience the cunt bag music press that your great, which as the Fratellis will tell you aint easy. A sure fire way to do this is to write the most expected genre derivied drose you can. Think of it as a mediocraty contest. Anyway next stop mercury nomination (you wont win) and thats pretty much it bish boosh.

well that's me fucked anyway. Call me when depresso rock comes back into fashion. I'll be in my coffin so shout loud, those bugers are hard to hear in.

ive bought a job lot of white pancake makeup in the hopes of a new romantic (nu -rnmtk?) revival. You want in?

What are Pitchfork going on about here? Is this the thing you mean, Dutchman?
Did I miss the summer because I wasn't in Chicago? :(

Pitchfork Again said:
The sound has many names, but none of them seem to fit just right. Dream-beat, chillwave, glo-fi, hypnagogic pop, even hipster-gogic pop-- all are imperfect phrases for describing a psychedelic music that's generally one or all of the following: synth-based, homemade-sounding, 80s-referencing, cassette-oriented, sun-baked, laid-back, warped, hazy, emotionally distant, slightly out of focus.

It's the definition I've been waiting for ever since I immersed myself in the chillwave revolution. I held rooftop glo-fi party last week (Bonsai Superstar was there) but when people asked me what it was all about I just got a bit hazy and changed my shirt.

Tapes are the way to go alright, even Mrs Cole knows it.

Hero_03.jpg

It basically sounds like alexa chung talking in french and playing a moog over some ethnographic field recordings. All the songs are about hair metal bands and sex on british trains.

well either that or the strokes first album but now the whole band looks like their drummer

I belive that music in the long run can straighten out most things

There are too many bands that act lame

Sound tame

I believe In Electrelane

Over here it's new, it's now, it's you, it's clean

The beard and lipstick scene

So look beyond Big brother, gossip culture,

So bored of stupidity

The myth of common sense

I believe in Donovan over Dylan

In love over cynicism

Oh, ??????????

so there

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back