35mm prime or 50mm prime for a 400d? (1 Viewer)

classic seanc

Yo, bear with me…
DSLR’s produce “a "focal length multiplier," typically 1.5x or 1.6x.” Thus, a 35mm prime on an EOS 400D would give the closest equivalent to "normal" perspective.

So, if I wanna take photo's of things as they look to my eye, would I be better off getting this 35mm prime:
http://www.adorama.com/CA352AFU.html

Or would it make not a load of difference to get this 50mm prime:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-CANON-...hZ003QQcategoryZ30070QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and save a few quid.

Or, option 3, this yoke:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/OPTOMAX-PRIME-35...ryZ30070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Advize plz.
Kthx.

Yo, bear with me…
DSLR’s produce “a "focal length multiplier," typically 1.5x or 1.6x.” Thus, a 35mm prime on an EOS 400D would give the closest equivalent to "normal" perspective.

So, if I wanna take photo's of things as they look to my eye, would I be better off getting this 35mm prime:
http://www.adorama.com/CA352AFU.html

Or would it make not a load of difference to get this 50mm prime:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-CANON-...hZ003QQcategoryZ30070QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and save a few quid.

Or, option 3, this yoke:
http://cgi.ebay.ie/OPTOMAX-PRIME-35...ryZ30070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Advize plz.
Kthx.

Well I just got the 50mm prime which I really like but when your stuck right in front of someone trying to take pictures it's a bit difficult. The 35mm will obviously be a bit wider but I don't think it would be significantly wide to warrant buying and it's certainly not a "wide angle" lens when you have it on a 400D. So personally I'd go with the 50mm.

My next pruchase is gonna be something along the lines of an 18mm, proper wide angle, but pretty expensive.

not option 3, anyway. those adapters cause you to lose functionality such as full metering, and the aperture will stop down to what you select constantly, not just at exposure time.

a 50mm will be better for portraits, but if you want to take what your eye sees, a 35mm would be better.

Think I'll go for the 50mm. I can just take a step backwards if I need to. Probably.
Thanks lads.

Think I'll go for the 50mm. I can just take a step backwards if I need to. Probably.
Thanks lads.

Unless you're in the lower deck and there's about two hundred people in front of the stage so you end up sitting on the bass bin taking ridiculously close up pics of the guitarist. :)

Unless you're in the lower deck and there's about two hundred people in front of the stage so you end up sitting on the bass bin taking ridiculously close up pics of the guitarist. :)

Here Moose, did you get your lens off the same ebay seller I linked to? If so, they're reliable and all yeah?

Here Moose, did you get your lens off the same ebay seller I linked to? If so, they're reliable and all yeah?

I ended up buying in the camera exchange in town for €150 as I wanted it in a hurry. I have been in contact with yer man on ebay before though and he seems sound enough.

The 50 will have the same field of view as a 75 on a full-frame camera, which is going from "normal" territory into "portrait lens" territory. As you say, the 35 will act like a full-frame 50 (well, ~52.5). Which is better depends on what you tend to photograph...

Do you have a zoom lens at the moment? Try walking around with the focal length set to 35mm and then to 50mm and see what works best for you...

Go for the 50mm would be my advice. It's a great little lens. And at f1.8, you can't go too wrong for gigs and stuff, sans flash. And you don't wnat to be too close at that distance as the depth of field would be shit (Or good, depending on what you're looking for). I have one and it's great for portraits. Though not as nice as my 22-70mm f/2.8, which I now use for almost everything.

Just to throw another idea into the mix. I came across some Sigma 17-35mm (2.8) wide angles second hand on the ffordes website for 150 sterling. Think I'll pick one up myself anyway.

Kewl,

Well, it's being shipped today said yerman in the email.
Getting the 400D as well, I've been bereft of camera for too long.

I've asked this before, but the EOS comes with the standard 18-55 lens, which by all accounts is a bit crappy. Is there any sort of a trade-in or something that I could get on it? Would anyone buy it?

Kewl,

I've asked this before, but the EOS comes with the standard 18-55 lens, which by all accounts is a bit crappy. Is there any sort of a trade-in or something that I could get on it? Would anyone buy it?
I've seen them 2nd hand in shops so some do accept them for trade in, but you'd probably be luck to get 20 quid for it.

It's not that bad, though. I kept mine anyway.

I've seen them 2nd hand in shops so some do accept them for trade in, but you'd probably be luck to get 20 quid for it.

It's not that bad, though. I kept mine anyway.

I'll keep it for a while surely, but I'd like to get something for it when I go to expand my lens collection...eventually.

I've been having the same dilemma. I actually hate zoom lenses. They just get in the way of taking decent photos. I usually have to think: do I want to take a wide photo, a 'prime' photo or flattened perspective photo.

Best photos are taken have been when this just wasn't part of the equation.

My 50mm EF turns into 80mm or so, but produces lovely shallow depth of field, which I love, even at long enough focal distances.

But I'm really torn between getting a fixed 28/35mm equivalent or 50mm equilvalent for my 400D.

But given the cheapness of the 50mm EF, it's grand for starting out, but rubbish if you have to make any measurements. It's often very zoomy when you're stuck for space though. But found it very interesting for street photography - in Paris, I decided to only take photos in portrait with a shallow DoF, even if the shot might have been more appropriate to landscape.

All in all, it depends on how you decide you want to take your photos. Sorta like, do you want to hang your guitar around your knees for ultimate Slash-style stadium rockin', or up at your shoulders like Don Cab or The Shadows...

Kewl,

Got these today, heehheeheeheehee.

There’s a thing though, I got the camera body only, without the 18-55mm lens. I have 50mm

Should I be upset?

Got these today, heehheeheeheehee.

There’s a thing though, I got the camera body only, without the 18-55mm lens. I have 50mm

Should I be upset?

did you order/pay for the body only or the kit?

did you order/pay for the body only or the kit?

Yeah ordered & paid for the kit. It was cheaper to get the kit from this guy than the body only from anyone else, so perhaps I shouldn’t whinge over something I didn’t really want anyway y’know?

Yeah ordered & paid for the kit. It was cheaper to get the kit from this guy than the body only from anyone else, so perhaps I shouldn’t whinge over something I didn’t really want anyway y’know?

Get on to him and see what the story is. You should get what you paid for.

Oh yeah and don't show him this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back