"3" telephone network - €20 "all you can eat" mobile data. Any good? (1 Viewer)

Give it a shot there Pissy,see what happens.
I'm posting this on an android tablet tethered to my Galaxy S II. No warnings received either.

On an unrelated topic, I just took a wander through a local supermarket and the data signal was good enough indoors to play a 128k internet radio stream without any break in the audio.

there are apps you can get that claim to hide that you're tethering your phone. I tried it a while ago with mine, a shite htc on o2 but I couldn't get it to work. I could pick up the wireless hotspot network with my pc but either i couldn't connect to it or i could connect but couldnt get any signal through

Seriously condsidering switching.
Want to upgrade to iPhone 5. O2 initially wamted to charge me €640.
Eventually got them down to €219 but i can get it on 3 Mobile for €149.

Bit nervous about call coverage cos i need it for work.
Also, would occasionally want to be able to tether it to the iPad.

Just spoke to 3 on the phone.
Unlike O2, they won't let you change your price plan within the contract.
We're planning on moving to the US in 18 months & if I go for the 18 month contract (instead of 24) the price of the phone shoots up to €320.

Looks like I'm sticking with O2.

Here's an update from me for those who care:

I bought the SIM for 20 Euro - and that comes with 20 Euro credit
A few weeks later they gave me 25 Euro for free (as a "Hi, How are you new customer!" no doubt). I topped up again a week or so ago with 20 Euro.

I hadn't been minding my dates, so I messed up and used 12 Euro in data charges one day using internet radio because the date had gone over the month since I'd last topped up by 20 quid. They sent me a text within hours of me doing this to warn me.

So for the 40 quid I put into the phone in a month and a half, my current balance is 29 Euro.

I've been texting out the yard (free), using a fair bit of data (but then again only just over 1GB per month I'd say. It's free too) and mainly making calls on weekends (when they're free), but the great thing is that when I *really* need to make a mobile call I've always had credit to do it.

Phone coverage has been fine, and I've only lost data coverage when I've been out in the wilds of Galway / Clare or when surrounded by massive stone buildings, and it's patchy when coasting through the midlands on a bus (motorways often don't have consistent line of sight I guess). Comparable to other networks I guess, although there has been times when my girlfriends got data coverage on Vodafone and I haven't. Never had a problem in Dublin.

Also they're soon introducing a charge for listening to voicemails. Nominal as it is, I'll probably just disable my voicemail! Who uses it these days anyway?

quick question RE the three network and a dongle:

im going to buy one of their 21MBps dongles and ill need a sim for it.
if i get a special data one and top it up with 25 euro i get only 7.5gb data allowance for a month.

but if i get one of their 3g sims (like one for a phone) and i top it up for just 20 euro, ill get unlimited data.
seems like a no-brainer.. BUT are the data only sims faster?

would they twig im only using a standard 3g phone one?
etc

cheers,

Ern

quick question RE the three network and a dongle:

im going to buy one of their 21MBps dongles and ill need a sim for it.
if i get a special data one and top it up with 25 euro i get only 7.5gb data allowance for a month.

but if i get one of their 3g sims (like one for a phone) and i top it up for just 20 euro, ill get unlimited data.
seems like a no-brainer.. BUT are the data only sims faster?

would they twig im only using a standard 3g phone one?
etc

cheers,

Ern

I have this same very question, anyone accessing their Three mobile internet in this sneaky manner?

In theory, there's nothing preventing you from doing it but are Three swift to detect that you've just stuck your 'phone' SIM into a data modem & boot you off?

I have this same very question, anyone accessing their Three mobile internet in this sneaky manner?

In theory, there's nothing preventing you from doing it but are Three swift to detect that you've just stuck your 'phone' SIM into a data modem & boot you off?

I have no idea. I don't use the dongle no more

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back