2023 Albums of interest (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 286
  • Views 13K
  • Watchers 4
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Came out in December 2022... lookit... Unwound style hardcore from Norwich.

Droney ambience on a small Dutch label

Another one of those bob stanley & Pete wiggs compilations out on ace records January 27th.
Post punk, early 80s indie type of stuff.
there were loads comps. of this kind of Swell Maps type stuff called Messthetics (named after the early Scritti song). they were mostly complied region by region.

on the Ace website I saw a history of Rn'R compiled by Lenny Kaye called Lightning Striking which was going as expected until the 80's -
the second CD took a surprise detour into 14) Dokken, 15) Vixen, 16) Mayhem (Norway) and 17) Baby Metal.

Another one of those bob stanley & Pete wiggs compilations out on ace records January 27th.
Post punk, early 80s indie type of stuff.
Bob Stanley's never ending quest to prove that a) punk never happened and b) if it did you would have been listening to the wrong bands anyway

there were loads comps. of this kind of Swell Maps type stuff called Messthetics (named after the early Scritti song). they were mostly complied region by region.
Anything decent on them? No feeling like getting a compilation of bands you've never heard of and disliking every single track

Last edited:
Bob Stanley's never ending quest to prove that a) punk never happened and b) if it did you would have been listening to the wrong bands anyway

Anything decent on them? No feeling like getting a compilation of bands you've never heard of and disliking every single track
I've listened to some of the stuff but only online but not much of it clicked with me.
a lot of those bands were the beginning of the tape trading network. there was a demos reviews section in the music papers for a while about 1980 onwards. it often centred around those bands labeled 'Messthetics' 20 odd years later.

Fuck Off Records was a big part of that era. a few of their bands are on Bob's comp and they are generally really good.

THE HOMOSEXUALS first LP is very good early WIRE-ish sounding record.

SCROTUM POLES - Radio Tay (from Dundee) are a bit more straight forward.

SCROTUM POLES - Night Train

John Cage has a new album out on Friday.

Looking forward to going into a shop and buying it blind [trying to pretend I live in a world with no internet c'mon].

... although I did see members of Animal Collective guest on it... terrifying :eek: :eek: :eek:

John Cage has a new album out on Friday.

Looking forward to going into a shop and buying it blind [trying to pretend I live in a world with no internet c'mon].

... although I did see members of Animal Collective guest on it... terrifying :eek: :eek: :eek:
Animal Collective covering 4'33" is something I could get behind.

A Certain Ratio don't quit! Thankfully....dig da bass. [Two tracks previewed here]

Album dropping end of March...

Playing a spate of UK shows in April but no Irish dates yet.

I was thinking of going to Turf Moor for my birthday... they're playing sunny Huddersfield around that time. Bring back Dychey!... wasn't there some podcast where he recalled being pilled out of it in the Hacienda? Might be doable on a whiz around that neck of the woods.

Been looking forward to this for quite some time- new album (3xCD!) from Kali Malone w/ Stephen O'Malley & Lucy Railton). Her last album was pretty much AOTY for me in '22 so can;t wait to get stuck into this one

Been looking forward to this for quite some time- new album (3xCD!) from Kali Malone w/ Stephen O'Malley & Lucy Railton). Her last album was pretty much AOTY for me in '22 so can;t wait to get stuck into this one

The bad album title and artwork suggest something bland and pretentious.
the music is really good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back