2021 albums worth a listen.... (2 Viewers)

just looked at snippets of videos of C.L. performing - including acapella - which she is well able to pull off live.

Good suggestion. Yeah, checking some of them out now. Reminds me of batshit noise/concrete shows in Tokyo. Yeah, she knows what she's doing absolutely.

Most of them are voice trained. There's a guy from Tokyo who's she really similar to - Kazehito Seki. He's properly voice trained. I suppose they're like athletes. Or actors. You'd fuck your voice up if you went into like some novice.

Kazehiro Seki's videos are cool alright . had never heard of him either. he seems more allied to the noise scene which is fine with me.

his name reminds me of this great guy from LA who died in January:

Katz's music ranged from HC punk to grind to noisecore and noise.

Yeah, Seki. The name means gate. He spent a summer in Ireland when he was a kid. Somewhere like Monaghan or Leitrim. His mother is a sculptor, so she was in residence there.

He typifies the vagabond touring artist going from city to city squating and playing with local musicians.

Speaking of Japanese underground musicians,

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would usually expect this woman to fall into the Japanoise category. She'd be on bills with the usual Japanoise suspects. But this is more ambient, less harsh. On Lawrence English's label.

She plays in a few bands too. One of them is a quite popular all-girl shoegazey indie thing.

thanks for all the info Nate.

I'm an old fart and don't keep up with new stuff enough.
my fave noise person from Japan is Juntaro Yamanouchi aka GEROGERIGEGEGE.
he disappeared after 2001 for a long time but about 2013 he made contact with old friends and has released
some records in the last few years. one of them had a long noisy shoegazey song !
unfortunately he can put out prank releases that have very little music on them or easy listening music or whatever.
mainly I am interested in his noisecore stuff as GERO was one of the first noisecore bands from 1985 onward.
Juntaro and all the guys who have been involved in GERO are gay which is very obvious in their work.

FWIW this came out in 2020 on a split 7" with Slovak noisecore band SEDEM MINUT STRACHU (on SMS's label):

other than GEROGERIGEGEGE I own very, very little stuff by the famous Japanese noise artists and in general most of the noise stuff I have is done by obscure folks.

thanks for all the info Nate.

I'm an old fart and don't keep up with new stuff enough.
my fave noise person from Japan is Juntaro Yamanouchi aka GEROGERIGEGEGE.
he disappeared after 2001 for a long time but about 2013 he made contact with old friends and has released
some records in the last few years. one of them had a long noisy shoegazey song !
unfortunately he can put out prank releases that have very little music on them or easy listening music or whatever.
mainly I am interested in his noisecore stuff as GERO was one of the first noisecore bands from 1985 onward.
Juntaro and all the guys who have been involved in GERO are gay which is very obvious in their work.

FWIW this came out in 2020 on a split 7" with Slovak noisecore band SEDEM MINUT STRACHU (on SMS's label):

other than GEROGERIGEGEGE I own very, very little stuff by the famous Japanese noise artists and in general most of the noise stuff I have is done by obscure folks.

Innaresting- I just picked up a copy of this recent album from GEROGERIGEGEGE. Didn't know anything about him/them but was intrigued by the sound of it. It's basically 40 minutes of crickets/gentle white noise/traffic sounds/lilting melody on some stringed instrument. Very nice indeed.

This album is a good example of a GEROGERIGEGEGE album which probably only contains other artists music.

the song beginning at 12:55 is an instrumental version of Karen Nash by LSD but no idea where the other diverse tracks are sourced from.
Karen Nash (1986) is a totally epic 6 minute song - one of the greatest moments in Japanese HC but the wild vocals have been removed on here.

this is also a good excuse to post this video which has 87,000 hits !
(MUST WATCH - MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR WORK)

Juntaro is doing the vocals and Gero an exhibitionist homeless guy who performed live with the band is doing the vacuum cleaner

This album is a good example of a GEROGERIGEGEGE album which probably only contains other artists music.

the song beginning at 12:55 is an instrumental version of Karen Nash by LSD but no idea where the other diverse tracks are sourced from.
Karen Nash (1986) is a totally epic 6 minute song - one of the greatest moments in Japanese HC but the wild vocals have been removed on here.

this is also a good excuse to post this video which has 87,000 hits !
(MUST WATCH - MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR WORK)

Juntaro is doing the vocals and Gero an exhibitionist homeless guy who performed live with the band is doing the vacuum cleaner

Watching that video makes me feel like I've completed the internet

Dry Cleaning
I was listening to that album earlier this week too. It’s... ok? but it’s also a bit bizarrely retro for what is meant to be some hot-shit new band. the harsh thought that I had listening to it was that, musically, it’s indie-disco-level generic guitar music, that sounds like it could have been recorded by wire in 1982. or is there something i’m missing here? the vocals are pretty cool though.

I was listening to that album earlier this week too. It’s... ok? but it’s also a bit bizarrely retro for what is meant to be some hot-shit new band. the harsh thought that I had listening to it was that, musically, it’s indie-disco-level generic guitar music, that sounds like it could have been recorded by wire in 1982. or is there something i’m missing here? the vocals are pretty cool though.
I’ve heard one song and it was really good. Very retro but stuff I like so it was cool with me. Good band name.

Sounds like noughties era the fall with a great new vocalist .
Her schtick may wear thin quickly however. But for now I'm into it

I like the music & her voice (nice accent) it's not unlike the menace era elastica......but it's a pity she doesn't mix it up a bit. Sing more. Some melodies would help. Not just the same deadpan, spoken delivery for every song.

Last edited:
I like the music & her voice (nice accent) it's not unlike the menace era elastica......but it's a pity she doesn't mix it up a bit. Sing more. Some melodies would help. Not just the same deadpan, spoken delivery for every song.
Is this the musical equivalent of saying “Smile love, it could be worse!” at a random woman? Seriously though, if Mark E Smith can get away with a whole career without singing, why can’t she?

finally gave a proper listen to the black country new road album

it’s properly weirdo great! new fave band! omg!

finally gave a proper listen to the black country new road album

it’s properly weirdo great! new fave band! omg!

Fucking deadly. Thanks for yhe recommend

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back